NGD - some new EGCs

What's Hot
BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
edited November 2016 in Guitar
Had this for a couple of months, thought I'd show you fellas. Its one of 2 Electrical Guitar Company prototypes for the Aaron Turner Signature model they are going to start offering soon, the other one being owned by none other than Aaron Turner (Isis, Sumac, Old Man Gloom, etc etc) obvs. Its 27.5 scale length, acrylic body, black anodized aluminium neck and custom size humbuckers. Its very heavy, it sounds like a grand piano, and it plays amazingly - like an earthquake in your hands (this is a good thing). Capable of sounding utterly beautiful or totally crushing

While I'm at it actually, heres another recent aquisition - EGC 500. Surprisingly light, aluminium neck, wood body. Awesome - love it, the P90's are the most nasty sounding things ever.

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winner. 

Is the record at the back of the pile Shellac 1000 Hurts? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It is - fantastic album
  • It is - fantastic album
    Yep, one of my all time favourites.  The drum sound on that album is like building collapsing.  Do you like PJ Harvey btw?  Albini's drum sound on the song Rid of Me is immense.  

Huge fan of Aaron Turner; for my money he's one of the most important musical figures of the era, be it for the bands he's been in or Hydrahead Records. 

Great NGD's.  I'd shit my pants if I could play those guitars!  I've been a fan of EGC's ever since I saw them on the Electrical Audio forum many years ago. 

What are the pickups like on the Aaron Turner?  I presume they are Travis Bean inspired for size? 

• Yeah, big PJ Harvey fan - Rid of Me is up there with the Albini engineered Neurosis albums as my favourite production work ever.
     I love EGC's - Ive somehow ended up owning 4 of them now, each time I get one its like a revelation and every single one I have ever seen or played is stellar. 
    The pickups are a special Kevin Burkett custom job that Aaron Turner requested (Ive got the details that Kevin gave me about the somewhere but I cant remember where!) - very very high output, but very very clear and bell like. Size wise they are just slightly smaller than Travis Bean humbuckers - they sound huge though.
  • goatgoat Frets: 98
    Yes, congrats, both awesome. Been lusting after an EGC ever since seeing Torche in a tiny club. Two members play EGCs and it was one of the thickest and heaviest sounds Ive ever experienced.
  • Yes - the 1st time I saw Torche was my frist encounter with EGCs too - stupidly heavy sounding band
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3517
    edited November 2016
    4 EGC's!  Fine work.  How many do you own at this moment in time?  What have been your favourites? 

Off the top off my head, I'd have go for the last two Albini Don Cab albums, Low 'Things We Lost in the Fire'.  Good call on Neurosis though.  His back catalogue is an embarrassment of riches though.  Kurt Ballou seems to be another guy who seems to have the midas touch on the mixing board/with the mic placement.  

Thanks for the info about the pickups, they sound like really interesting ones.  A bit like the proper Wide Range pickups should be like. 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

What number is the 500? I have singles in my series 1, and they're not too nasty at all (but can be). That AT looks immense. Although I think if I was going to get an acrylic, I'd be torn for an Ampeg. Completely different beasts I know.

• 4 EGC's!  Fine work.  How many do you own at this moment in time?  What have been your favourites? 

Off the top off my head, I'd have go for the last two Albini Don Cab albums, Low 'Things We Lost in the Fire'.  Good call on Neurosis though.  His back catalogue is an embarrassment of riches though.  Kurt Ballou seems to be another guy who seems to have the midas touch on the mixing board/with the mic placement.  

Thanks for the info about the pickups, they sound like really interesting ones.  A bit like the proper Wide Range pickups should be like. 
    I own 4 at the moment - Ive got these 2, an acrylic Series 2, and also an all aluminium standard, alongside an old Travis Bean Artist. I did used to own a Baritone 500 and an all aluminium flying V, but Ive moved those on. Its very difficult to choose which Ive liked best because they really are bs aside all fantastic, but I suppose my favourites from them all have been the AT Acrylic, the Baritone 500 and the 500 I just got above. The aluminium standard is amazing too though - its tricky to choose. Would you be amazed if I told you that the Travis Bean isnt as nice as the EGC's? Sacrilege to some, but Ive got it just as a collection piece because I was offered it at a really really good price - I rarely play it.

The 500 is number 568 - the p90s can sound lovely, but put them through a RAT and they sound so gnarly its amazing, also through a big muff sounds lovely too. The Dan Armstrongs are great guitars, I have had a couple because Im a big fan, but yes, totally different beasts
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes - the 1st time I saw Torche was my frist encounter with EGCs too - stupidly heavy sounding band
    When did you see Torche?  @goat as well. 

I saw them support Baroness at the Underworld and they were playing Gibsons.  Torche were immense, unexpectedly outshone Baroness. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    I've always admired Aaron Turner's tone - he manages to get those shimmering cleans while delivering floor crushing doom at the drop of a hat.

It does look heavy though. I'd love to try one out - plus the full body aluminum ones that Buzz and Laura Pleasants use - but I need to sell all my gear to do that.
    When did you see Torche?  @goat as well. 

I saw them support Baroness at the Underworld and they were playing Gibsons.  Torche were immense, unexpectedly outshone Baroness. 
    200 and 9 or 10 ish I think, in Birmingham.
  • goatgoat Frets: 98
    edited November 2016
    2013 upstairs at the Voodoo Bar in Belfast, it was like being in an LFO wind tunnel at times. Just awesome. And again last year co-headlining with The Bronx who Id never heard of before the show but were excellent and well worth checking out.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    God, I want a 500.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Wish I could ever afford an ECG

They're easily my favourite 'modern' guitar designs

HNGD!
    Stop crying, start buying
  •  I own 4 at the moment - Ive got these 2, an acrylic Series 2, and also an all aluminium standard, alongside an old Travis Bean Artist. I did used to own a Baritone 500 and an all aluminium flying V, but Ive moved those on. Its very difficult to choose which Ive liked best because they really are bs aside all fantastic, but I suppose my favourites from them all have been the AT Acrylic, the Baritone 500 and the 500 I just got above. The aluminium standard is amazing too though - its tricky to choose. Would you be amazed if I told you that the Travis Bean isnt as nice as the EGC's? Sacrilege to some, but Ive got it just as a collection piece because I was offered it at a really really good price - I rarely play it.
    Thanks for the info about the EGC's you have and have had and I can imagine it'd be difficult to pick out a favourite as they have different body constructions and scale length and so on.  EGC make their own pickups as well?  The AT signature HB's seem like they'd be great in a slide type guitar!  

I can actually believe the Travis Bean isn't as nice as the EGC's, which isn't to make the TB any less special.  
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2917
    Bloody hell. They are well cool. Nice one dude.