Sensible mods to an old guitar

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1703
So, looking at my collection, ive grown quite fond of my Roadster 2 but it does have a few niggles. The real biggy is the location of the jack input which is mounted on the scratch plate rather than on the body or elsewhere. its a  bit of poor location because if you have a straight jack, it looks like you've got a boner guitar and an angled looks really bulky. my main question is should I relocate it, even though it's a 30 year old guitar? I'd get a plate made (which I'd want to do as the humbucker has 2 adjustment screws on top and one of the bottom which is just annoying for upgrades)  and that would be it. 

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii263/jetfireproductions/Boss Pedals/20161029_121322_zpspz1b0ryl.jpg

Should I do it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Go for it!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    The other issue with this particular guitar is that the plate can crack around that jack socket - I had a slightly older one that did just that.

I'd do it - its not a guitar that will ever be particularly valuable financially (they are certainly worth more as guitars than they are as cash, IMHO) and an old friend owns my old one, now fitted with a set of Seymours... it roars.

Get a plate made and stick the jack on the side - do it neatly and it'll look factory.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    I wouldn't bother, but then you're probably not as lazy as me.
    Besides, I like the look of a straight lead going into the front of the scratchplate.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8864
    Make up some leads with right angled jacks. It's a lot less work
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    or just go wireless.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1703
    I already am wireless, just the jack is a straight jack. its a vanity thing, ok??

Ah Ok, no just thought that one of them SoundHound things that lay fairly flat would work.

As long as your socks match the guitar you'll be fine..

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    I wizzed @Roland. Make up some Rightangle jacks, less soldering. If your radio transmitter has a straight jack, change that.
    ESBlonde said:
    I wizzed @Roland. Make up some Rightangle jacks, less soldering. If your radio transmitter has a straight jack, change that.

yes you lazy bastard, get soldering.

Sorry...Mr Lazy Bastard

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7927
    Jetfire said:
     I'd get a plate made (which I'd want to do as the humbucker has 2 adjustment screws on top and one of the bottom which is just annoying for upgrades).

or drill an extra hole between the two, then you wouldn't need a new plate . . .
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3113
    edited November 2016
    Fit a plate on the side and have done with it, you could rewire it to have a second tone control to fill the vacant hole.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Move the jack and put a Blower Switch where it is now.