Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2010 Les Paul Standard Goldtop.....are these OK?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3969
    Nowt wrong with weight relieved LP's at all. Stop reading all the crap on the internet and get it bought.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    koss59 said:
    To me the weight relieved ones that they've been doing since the 80's still sound like a Les Paul should.
    The chambered I think started in 2006 and I've not played one that I thought sounded like a "typical" Les Paul, you might think it sounds better though.

This is exactly my experience too, though the major difference to me is dynamic rather than tonal.

I love Les Pauls, whether solid or 9-hole weight-relieved, but a chambered Les Paul is a different animal, it sounds like a 336.

Not necessarily a bad guitar, but a terrible Les Paul IMO.
    That's interesting because I really loved a 336 I played many years ago when they first came out.  Very different from a solid body LP, to my ears anyway, but a really lovely guitar. 

Deadman said:
    Nowt wrong with weight relieved LP's at all. Stop reading all the crap on the internet and get it bought.

That's the problem isn't it?  You get sucked in by the internet chat and you never do anything.  However, so many people have commented that the weight relief really isn't an issue that I think I just need to forget about it.  Job done!  :)  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32040
    Deadman said:
    Nobody in this thread is worried about weight relief, we're concerned it might be chambered, which is a whole different thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I remember 2010 Goldtops specifically had a problem with sudden spontaneous combustion, Gibson had to do a recall, so I'd stay away, otherwise your house might burn down.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3969
    p90fool said:
    Deadman said:
    Nobody in this thread is worried about weight relief, we're concerned it might be chambered, which is a whole different thing. 
    Weight relief/chambered. It doesn't bother me at all. I know what you're saying though, there is a difference. All subjective (in my opinion). But I will of course admit that there are tonal differences.
    Again, I suppose it all boils down to how much of a purist you are, how good the guitar sounds and pricing. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24582
    I've just picked up an R6 Goldtop in a trade - it is an immense thing - the only thing negative about it (and I do mean the only thing) is the fact that I have owned lighter motorbikes....
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    I built 2 Lp's one is non chambered and weighs 8.9lb with grovers the other is semi chambered and weighs 7.75lb

They both sound bloody good but a chambered guitar won't have a thick burst tone, no idea how to describe but you can hear it.

I've had Phil Harris play the non chambered one and he knows what a Lp should sound like before people go there's no difference, there is and it depends what tone you're going for

I'll get some demos done so people can hear it

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • I've had a 336 for a decade now and never found a Les paul that sounds like it. The chambered ones are certainly closer than the solid ones, but all of them sound like Les Pauls. 

I played a couple of 2016 Classics and Trads in Tokyo last month and they were all great guitars. 

Basically don't sweat it!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires