Sympathetic Ringing Open "G" Note.

What's Hot
Been meaning to ask for a while but kept forgetting. One of my Teles(Am Std) has this problem, when you play the open G String and even on some fretted notes. It's not majorly terrible but it's noticeable and would like to get rid.

I can touch the string behind the nut and it deadens it and sounds right, I could(and have) wrapped a velcro thingy round it and that cures it but I want to get rid of the issue without having adornments on my Guitar Headstock.

So I assume it's a badly cut nut or something and the string isn't making total contact along the slot. I've not tampered with filing nuts and wouldn't even know if there is just one size file for all slots or is there a file for each nut slot(string gauge)???????

Is it easy to do? Does the material remove easily or is it tough stuff?

Also, could the problem lie elsewhere and it not be the nut?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17497
    Does it have a string tree on the G?
  • WezV said:
    Does it have a string tree on the G?
    Nah, just on B and E. Standard Tele Fayre.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    The fact that the strings on a Tele and on a Strat and basically most guitars with 6-a-side heads is that the strings go over the nut and then run parallel. This means that they sometimes continue to resonate. A simple and quick fix is to wrap an elastic hair band behind the nut. Works wonders! 
  • Most Teles I have owned have had this to a greater or lesser extent, my AV52 does it and I put it down to the shallow break angle design rather a defect.

I accept it as coming with the territory of a Tele and you either put the hairband mute thing on or play on and forget it.

• Most Teles I have owned have had this to a greater or lesser extent, my AV52 does it and I put it down to the shallow break angle design rather a defect.

I accept it as coming with the territory of a Tele and you either put the hairband mute thing on or play on and forget it.

I've not owned that many really so I'm not aware of this stuff, I only have and have ever had the 2 that I own and my other one doesn't have this issue.

I have wrapped something round the headstock to deaden it but thought there may be a cure, filing the nut etc.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8089

add another string tree or put more winds round the post to increase the break angle
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • +1 on more winds round the post.
    My 52 AVRI has no string tree so I leave twice as much string, put a bunch of extra wraps (all moving towards the headstock) and problem is sorted.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    edited November 2016
    Winding the string round the post so that it fits tight against the ferrule can increase the break angle at the nut.
    Try that before you carry out any invasive surgery.

Edit: just noticed that's what everyone's already said.
    I really should read these threads more thoroughly.
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    I'll try the extra winds on my Tele as I get this exact same thing.  
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • Next time I restring it I'll make sure I give it a bit more slack. Ta.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    Cut a tiny sliver (and I mean tiny) of sellotape and lift your g string out of its nut slot. Place the sellotape across the slot and lower the string thus trapping the tape. Trim off any excess. It works. Was always my quick fix for a badly cut nut and its pretty invisible too.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17497
    Strat54 said:
    Cut a tiny sliver (and I mean tiny) of sellotape and lift your g string out of its nut slot. Place the sellotape across the slot and lower the string thus trapping the tape. Trim off any excess. It works. Was always my quick fix for a badly cut nut and its pretty invisible too.
    this sympton doesn't have to be from a badly cut nut though, just insufficient downward pressure.  

also, i'm okay with quick fixes to get through a gig or two, but do get the nut fixed properly at some point
  • Thanks for the extra tips guys.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2934
    This is why I love this place.  Top notch advice on tap.  :)

Peace.