PSA: Headless bargain?

What's Hot
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 28-5/8" scale, what's that about then? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    It's a baritone
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3691
    Comes tuned to D and then you can use the built in capo if you want. wasn't a popular guitar. 
  • Where's the rest of the guitar?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    carlos said:
    Comes tuned to D and then you can use the built in capo if you want. wasn't a popular guitar. 
    Looking at it, it's not hard to see why it wasn't popular.
  • Oh shut up.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3691
    I mean it didn't scratch the itch of Steinberger enthusiasts. The body is too big, the long scale kinda spoils the point of its compactness, the neck wasn't 100% carbon, no trem or transtrem option and intonation was hard to set up. This is what they should have done.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I thought this was going to be a Gibson thread :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's sold now - to me.

I actually found this board and thread while doing the usual post-purchase floating around the internet looking at reviews and info about whatever you've just bought.

It arrives tomorrow.

I think Gibson would do very well to start promoting and developing Steins again, personally. The old guard who wanted fully graphite necks and so on, are largely moved on. With things like Strandbergs and various other new headless designs showing up on the market, Stein are in a good place to recapture a market that Gibson let slip away from them for years.

Sure, it's not a fully composite guitar like the old ones, but that doesn't seem to bother most of the people buying the new wave of headless designs. And the body shape doesn't need to be super compact either for that crowd.

But on spec? £499 for a neckthrough, graphite reinforced, EMG loaded, Piezo loaded, Baritone scale guitar with active EQ and a composite/phenolic fretboard? Well. At that point looks come second to "can I get anything even remotely like this for that money?"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    I've been half tempted to go for one of these myself at some stage... (Yes I know the Strandbergs are out these days but they're a bit too "fancy" for my tastes.)
  • Ravenous said:
    I've been half tempted to go for one of these myself at some stage... (Yes I know the Strandbergs are out these days but they're a bit too "fancy" for my tastes.)
    I've been umming and ahhing over this particular model for well over a year myself. The only thing that stopped me was that I was really lusting after a 7 string, and was hoping an affordable headless 7 would enter the market. Alas, many did, but none in a baritone scale.

When this was reduced I realised I couldn't really excuse myself over an extra string anymore.
  • @GlacierNine you sir have taste!  I play a headless bass live,  steins to me are in the same league as Parker for innovation,  the dad brigade can keep their antique fenders and Gibson's :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom