Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Love for boss pedals

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Voxman said:

Depends what you mean by unity - if you mean where every slider on the GE7 is set to '0' including the 'level', true unity is with the level slider set a bit below level (around -5) as it's actually still boosting even at '0'. It's the same on my Behringer EQ700 and just seems to be how these pedals are set. 
    Sorry, I wasn't clear - I was talking about the SD-1. I use them as an actual overdrive pedal, set to give roughly unity volume into a clean amp and with a fair amount of distortion - never as a 'nearly clean boost' with the level up to push the amp harder. It's just that the remarkable thing is that it *does* still boost the amp if the amp is dirty, with the same settings.

The GE-7 does boost level slightly, yes - that's one reason it's a good 'tone restorer', although you can go further by removing the 'de-' part of the pre-emphasis/de-emphasis circuit which adds about 3dB (from memory) and a bit more top-end, which is often a perfect fix for a large tone-sucking pedalboard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    edited November 2016
    I thought I noticed a fair bit of bypass bleed on my SD1. Ironically I didn't notice it as badly (or at all really) with the cheapo Daphon clone I have of it D Not sure if that means they've fixed it on it or whether it's variable on them as well and maybe I just got lucky and got one of the better ones.

So long since I tried it I can't remember what settings I had on it. But I usually use it as a boost (level high, gain low).
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    It's true that the GE-7s do vary from pedal to pedal. I had one years ago that was very noisy but the one I bought recently is fine unless you max every slider.
    Funnily enough my SD-1 packed up last night. A few twists of a jackplug into the socket bought it back to life.
  • Sassafras said:
    It's true that the GE-7s do vary from pedal to pedal. I had one years ago that was very noisy but the one I bought recently is fine unless you max every slider.
    Funnily enough my SD-1 packed up last night. A few twists of a jackplug into the socket bought it back to life.
    I bought a modded ge7 off eBay, Ive no idea what they did to it but it's nice and quiet and works well.  Lost all the little white slider caps though...

SD1. Probably the greatest pedal ever.. if I could only have one pedal that would be it.  You can pretty much do any sort of gain with it plus it can be heard.. I can't imagine even trying to use any Marshall toe amp without one of these in front of it.