What's Hot
2»

Comments

• kipplekipple Frets: 357
    edited November 2016
    FX_Munkee said:
    kipple said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    How exactly are Amazon going to be able to tell that I was streaming content to my Fire box sideloaded with Kodi as opposed to my MXQ box with Kodi on it, when all they have is my routers ISP allocated IP address?

Does it need to work like that ? I don't know let me think ...
    Lets just say amazon are aware that someone is streaming Amazon content to your address Maybe they would check to see if that address is on the amazon database as being registered for an Amazon Subscription and if not then perhaps someone will knock on your door.

But much more importantly what makes you think that just because you are using an amazon device loaded with KODI that it is JUST Amazon that will come after you . it is just as likely to be SKY . 
    There will no doubt be someone out there using Amazon fire loaded with KODI and using it with sky broadband to stream sky content . do you really think the ISP provider cannot see that...
    Whatever makes you happy is fine but the point is this the law is clear use a device that is not subscription based like an MBOX and then streaming is LEGAL.
    So when SKY, Amazon, Virgin et al come knocking I just have to produce my MXQ box and all is right with the world?
    What I'm trying to point out is that none of the above providers can prove you were using anything other than the MXQ box, neither can your ISP, all they have is an IP address.

Also the bit in bold, they can see what IP you hooked up to, they can possibly inspect the contents of the stream, they have absolutely no idea what device I am using behind my router.

So I guess it boils down to this. I'm slightly confused as to why copyright theft is legal when committed on a generic device but illegal on a subscription device?
    OK . you are correct in part yes.. but that is not quite how it goes.
    It is a mistake to think it is of importance that providers cannot see what device you are using ,It is not important you could be using Amazon or a Chipped virgin box or KODI MXQ 

If you are streaming paid for content on a Licensed device though then it is safe to assume you are not using KODI and that in itself is a problem
    The problem will start when you become the subject of a complaint that is based on proof of you watching paid for content when it is apparent that their is no subscription registered to your address for any of the content from the providers of the content.

So.. You get a Knock on the door and although you are using an unpaid licensed device to stream licensed content the licensed device you are using is now not your real problem although that in itself is also a criminal offence.

It will not be SKY or VIRGIN or any other provider knocking on your door it will be the department of trade with uniformed police with a warrant and at this point they WILL have proof of what you have been watching and I can assure you that if do not have a KODI box hooked up at the time of the visit then you have effectively lost your get out of jail free card and then you will be required to prove how you have been watching the paid for content that they will have records of and if You are unfortunate to have a Licensed device hooked up with KODi loaded into it then it's going to become very tricky.
    State your name clearly for the interview tape please...

Proof will be required in terms of the device you have been using to watch the paid for content and also they will require subscription based proof that you were entitled to watch the content they have on their records and the proof they require will need to be proof of a SKY subscription/contract and or VIRGIN and NETFLIX and AMAZON etc or where those providers are relevent to what has been watched. 
    The time periods for those contracts from start to finish will need to correspond exactly with the periods that you were watching the paid for content.. or you are fucked.
    As cockeyed as his may seem this the way it is at the moment and there are currently laws to support the use of KODI for streaming content even pirated content.  
    People are Getting caught out because they have loaded KODI onto licensed Devices..

I cannot remember precise statistics but somehing like 50% of all prosecutions of piracy being pursued by IPO and department of trade and federation of computer theft are connected to using unsubscribed licensed products to stream paid for content illegally.
    Companies like SKY and VIRGIN are suffering HUGE financial losses as a result of KODI and we are talking hundreds of Millions in lost revenue.
    The SKY Sales force and virgin sales force has been Decimated and this is putting a LOT of pressure on the government resulting in people being pursued for the relevant legal penalties.

I worked for SKY and Virgin and the sales force for both companies has been literally stripped away as they cannot get the sales in and trying to compete with KODI is almost Immpossible.. I ended up going over to selling Broadand independantly for all he companies and selling KODI instead...

I think at some point the law regarding KODI will possibly change as there a cases in court right now that could become benchmarks.

I admit to using KODI Myself and as long as it is legal I will continue to do so as it is free and it is a brilliant device the second it becomes illegal I will stop.

I jumped into this thread simply to point out to the OP the danger of using a Licensed product as I do not want to see anyone get burnt if it can be avoided.
    As strange as it seems I was trying to help the guy from inadvertantly breaking the law . but what people think of that law is another matter...   

I put peoples heads in horse's beds

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kipple said:

I think at some point the law regarding KODI will possibly change as there a cases in court right now that could become benchmarks.
    I cannot possibly see how the law could legislate against Kodi. It's an Open Source project, is not based in the UK and there is nothing illegal at all about it. It's not Kodi that is the problem. It's the plugins that connect to non-legal streams.
  • kipplekipple Frets: 357
    edited November 2016
    kipple said:

I cannot possibly see how the law could legislate against Kodi. It's an Open Source project, is not based in the UK and there is nothing illegal at all about it. It's not Kodi that is the problem. It's the plugins that connect to non-legal streams.
    I understand the Distinction between KODI and the third party stuff and that it is open source..but I wouldn't rule out that new laws may come into effect that make it illegal to use it and then it doesen't matter if KODI is legal. And I suspect that if there are new laws they will rule on that basis that it is illegal to stream due to copy right infringement as the original ruling was not whether KODI itself was legal but how it was used and the court said something like the content when streamed was too transient to be considered to infringement which is pretty slippery and I think that distinction may be the downfall legally and if the current court cases do not prove to be downfall of how KODI can legally be used then I think it is just a matter of time before a case of some sort sets the precedent that shows copyright is being infinged. If the government cannot get KODI they will just end up penalising the users instead.

Just because there is a current legal ruling that supports KODI use regarding streaming as being legal does not mean for one moment that it cannot change.
    Until very recently it was legal to watch TV on the internet without a TV license and the law on that has just been changed. 

Also if WIPO get involved based on some new legal precedent then countries and boundaries can become irrelevant regarding where the developer is based that is how WIPO works and if a Legal precedent is set it will be based in IP law

WIPO have offices in almost every country on the planet and very few countries are exempt with maybe a few exceptions Like china and a couple of others but even then WIPO can still enforce it's decisions.in the countries that are governed by their IP laws.

I absolutely love KODI and I would be destroyed if I had to go back to the piss ant measly massively overpriced repetitive shite that SKY is trying to shove on the public but.. KODI are fucking about with the revenue streams of some very large and powerful businesses who are constantly calling the UK government out over it so that's never going to be a good thing... 

I put peoples heads in horse's beds

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2343
    get a raspberry pi. put on openelec or libre-elec or whatever you want on it..
    subscribe to a vpn service such as PIA.

job is a good un..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom