Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Essentital technologies

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5066
    edited November 2016
    Never mind all that...Will they ever be able to make a PC printer that, ya know, actually f#cking prints what you ask it to.....?
    Baby steps, people. 
    No

Just stop relying on paper
    Ah yes, the mythical paperless office!
    Not sure why it's mythical.

I pretty much never use paper.
    See my edit;

"Great in theory, and at some levels works a charm, but just like the ants and wasps there will be drones somewhere in the hive who will produce and use it, and without it the whole thing will collapse!"
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17872
    tFB Trader
    I really don't see the point of printing stuff out.

Started using evernote about 5 years ago haven't looked back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5066
    edited November 2016
    I really don't see the point of printing stuff out.

Started using evernote about 5 years ago haven't looked back.
    I agree in principle, but in practice paperless won't be around at the lower levels of industry and public/ private service for many years yet.

My current Civil Service Dept has only adopted e-mail over faxes in the last month for certain confirmations of things!!! And that's been true in many other places I've worked in the last decade. A "lot" of services definitely qualify as "slow adopters".
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    quarky said:
    AI and 3D printing get my vote. How long before I can print Mia/Anita from Humans?
    Image result for Anita Humans
    Inappropriate touching.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think that as the dinosaurs in Senior Civil Service (Grade 6-7 and above) are starting to retire things are moving much quicker though. And the realisation that the Data Communications Act 2000 means we don't always need a "wet" signature helps also.

If I can re-mortgage online in minutes without needing a DNA test, then surely paperless becomes an obvious choice? You'd be surprised how much resistance there is though!
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    edited December 2016
    Unikernels 

You heard it here first.
    I like the idea of immutable unikernels if you're determined to run some bare metal server plus hypervisor, but outside of niches I reckon we're in for a serverless future.  Probably one dominated by Lambda.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blockchain seems a bit like a solution looking for a problem at the moment. Im sure it will find its niche but the hype around it might be premature.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    blockchain seems a bit like a solution looking for a problem at the moment. Im sure it will find its niche but the hype around it might be premature.
    You make a fair point although the diagram is about 2020 - it may become mainstream or have disappeared by then.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17872
    tFB Trader
    dtr said:
    Unikernels 

You heard it here first.
    I like the idea of immutable unikernels if you're determined to run some bare metal server plus hypervisor, but outside of niches I reckon we're in for a serverless future.  Probably one dominated by Lambda.
    There is no such thing as serverless, it has to be running on something, but I agree that Lambda is going to be the future for a lot of things.

I think the big market for unikernels is IoT. It won't take many DDOS attacks by routers etc before people start moving away from vanilla Linux for these things. Especially when governments start passing laws to hold people responsible for the damage their devices cause. 
  • None of those technologies are essential!
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    They're predicting that future technologies will all be centred around Outlook in 2020? I really hope that gmail has got a bigger marketshare by then ;-)

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    dtr said:
    Unikernels 

You heard it here first.
    There is no such thing as serverless, it has to be running on something, but I agree that Lambda is going to be the future for a lot of things.

I think the big market for unikernels is IoT. It won't take many DDOS attacks by routers etc before people start moving away from vanilla Linux for these things. Especially when governments start passing laws to hold people responsible for the damage their devices cause. 
    I think yesterday's announcement of AWS Greengrass changes that.  Lambda's going to be very dominant in IoT.  I'm not sure how happy I am about that.