Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is there a way to avoid getting stabbed when changing strings...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Rocker said:
    Thanks @ICBM, is there a similar way to string up Fender guitars (with slotted machines)?
    That's a bit trickier because you need to add length to increase the break angle, particularly on the G string.

The way I do it is:

Low E - pull tight and cut 2" beyond the post (ie level with the D post), poke down the hole and wind on *upwards*. This keeps the break angle lower and tends to reduce the problem of it sticking in the nut on a trem-bridge Strat. On a Tele I often just wind it on normally.
    A - same as the E (ie level with the G post) but wind on normally (downwards).
    D - same as the A but 3" beyond, ie level with the high E post.
    G - same but about 5" beyond - the same as the distance along all six posts.
    B and high E - only 2" beyond the post, but poke down the hole, then take the string half a turn the *wrong* way round the post, back across the slot and then wind on normally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4959
    edited December 2016
    Reading this thread I was thinking of getting locking tuners for my 2010 strat and 88 telecaster.  Much easier to string and better tuning stability.  I'd get Fender ones to be sure of easy exact drop in fit and to keep Fender theme.  Might do strat first.  Around £79 a set so not crazy money.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    Thanks again @ICBM. Printing out your replies and going to get the page laminated.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1421
    I'll be trying the "back across the post" method next time with my Tele.  I loathe, and I mean pick-it-up-and-throw-it loathe, the b and high e strings on those tuners.  They look great when strung, but the number of times it pops out the top is just infuriating.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    sinbaadi said:
    I'll be trying the "back across the post" method next time with my Tele.  I loathe, and I mean pick-it-up-and-throw-it loathe, the b and high e strings on those tuners.  They look great when strung, but the number of times it pops out the top is just infuriating.
    That's exactly what that cures. Those thin strings are so 'slinky' that when only poked down and bent once, the string can slide round the corner and out of the hole. Going back round and across puts two more sharp bends in the string and makes a sort of 'z' shape that tightens up under tension.

I'm almost certainly not the first to think of this but I did work it out myself, after seeing an older player do it by going back across after the first half turn the normal way - I realised it would grip even better if the first half turn was backwards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    @ICBM, I put your two suggestions together using MS Word, printed it out and got it laminated:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee495/RockerDIY/IMG_0411_zpsmmyzmwqh.jpg

The photo is not great but you might see what I did.  This info is very useful and will get used many times.  Thanks again.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    Stab 'em before they stab you.
    Attack is the best form of defence.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4959
    Sassafras said:
    Stab 'em before they stab you.
    Attack is the best form of defence.
    Lol!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • i tried bending the ends of the first, second, and third strings about 1/3 of an inch. worked great till i yanked a third string out of a rolled up set of old strings. the end went all the way up to the bend(in the string) into my left hand finger. ouch! 1/3 of an inch puncture, but just below the skin all the way. i have since given up on that method of not getting poked! 
    Comes with the territory.
  • vizviz Frets: 11025
    Richardj said:
    Generally between two and three times the length between posts gives enough winds. Less on the thicker wound  than plain strings. Unless of course you tie the strings on.

I personally don't cut the excess off until they are wound on though.  Less chance of stabbing yourself, but more chance of poking it in your eye so makes you a bit more careful!

I have locking tuners on all of mine as it is just so much less hassle to change strings. Pull the string through the hole, lock it, put a little tension on the string and cut the string about five to ten mm from the post. Nice.
    Or string it the other way round, even easier!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.