SOLO of the Month #22 - Chat

What's Hot

Comments

• spark240 said:
    Me too !...Im interested to know how you have all recorded the solos over the BT ?
    Import MP3 into logic. 
    Direct out from Helix onto a new track
    Rendered to Mp3 via Logic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For all my solos, I drag the backing track into Studio One and use S-Gear VST for my guitar sounds. Export to wav and email. 
  • Oh my life lads - I wish I hadn't listened to the entries now. I was happy with some of my sections until I gave them a listen! Maybe I need to come up with something else for the verses.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• markvmarkv Frets: 460
    spark240 said:
    Me too !...Im interested to know how you have all recorded the solos over the BT ?

Imported into Reaper. I then spend a little time trying to match the tempo so that if I choose to use any synced effects (such as delay) then they will match up correctly. I haven't found a good way of matching the tempo easily - it's usually a matter of trial and error.

Guitar is recorded using the RedBox output from an H&K Tubemeister, effects from the floor or plugins, depending on what I'm after. Mastered via a limiter plugin to WAV, imported into Audacity for a final level boost, then exported to MP3.

I've got the "chorus" sections mostly worked out. Trying to think of something interesting for the "verse". I'm really enjoying playing over it. It's a great track.
  • @markv loads of vsts (like sgear) have a tap tempo option.
    @markv loads of vsts (like sgear) have a tap tempo option.
    Thanks, I'm still working with included and free plugins! But most of them will work in multiples or subdivisions of the track's tempo. What I meant was that I find it a matter of trial and error getting the overall track's tempo matched to the imported backing track (I'm sure I'm missing something simple though). Once I've done that, matching delays or other effects to the overall track tempo is usually a simple option.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2047
    edited December 2016
    Cubase has a tap tempo option for the project BPM, in the metronome menu I think.
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I have a little utility to detect the tempo of an audio track - this month's is 152BPM (or 76bpm, depending on how you count the beats).
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2224
    edited December 2016
    markv said:
    spark240 said:

Imported into Reaper. I then spend a little time trying to match the tempo so that if I choose to use any synced effects (such as delay) then they will match up correctly. I haven't found a good way of matching the tempo easily - it's usually a matter of trial and error.

Guitar is recorded using the RedBox output from an H&K Tubemeister, effects from the floor or plugins, depending on what I'm after. Mastered via a limiter plugin to WAV, imported into Audacity for a final level boost, then exported to MP3.

I've got the "chorus" sections mostly worked out. Trying to think of something interesting for the "verse". I'm really enjoying playing over it. It's a great track.
    markv said:
    @markv loads of vsts (like sgear) have a tap tempo option.
    Thanks, I'm still working with included and free plugins! But most of them will work in multiples or subdivisions of the track's tempo. What I meant was that I find it a matter of trial and error getting the overall track's tempo matched to the imported backing track (I'm sure I'm missing something simple though). Once I've done that, matching delays or other effects to the overall track tempo is usually a simple option.
    Reaper has a tap tempo option.

Firstly, in the Project Settings, select Time, otherwise the track speed will change.
    Then left mouse click over the BPM display, which will turn to tap when you hover your mouse over it.

See picture below

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2097
    @Antique_Guitars .....Pleeeaseee....update us ;-}....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    @stratman3142 - Aha! That's the missing option I needed, in Project Settings. Every time I used the tap tempo in Reaper it would change the imported media. Thanks very much.
  • Sent mine.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7826
    edited December 2016
    @Rowby1 - wow, that is an amazing solo. Some really nice playing in that.

Some really strong stuff across all entries though - lots of good things happening.
    Jeez folks....I tell you this is going to be one hard vote.....makes me want to do another backing track !

I might just be requesting one of these when we finish the whole song !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • This is a great piece to play over. Can anyone have a pop at this? What's the email address to send entries to? I sent one to 'solos [at] thefretboard.co.uk' yesterday.
  • @LeeCassidy open to all, email is in the op, it's solos@theFB.co.uk so send again :)
  • I thought the 'tfb.co.uk' was an abbreviation to deter spam. Doh! Thanks, Teetonetal.

• spark240 said:
    Jeez folks....I tell you this is going to be one hard vote.....makes me want to do another backing track !

You know - it would be interesting to hear the song once you complete it - hope you will be able to share it?

spark240 said:

You know - it would be interesting to hear the song once you complete it - hope you will be able to share it?
    Sure will...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1284
    edited December 2016

Oh thanks @Teetonetal ;; glad you like it. That's kind of you to say so.

Just had a listen to the updated entries so far and some great stuff submitted already. Another week to go so I'm guessing there's more to come  

Never entered or voted before. On the basis of the standard so far it'll be tricky to decide!