I am a massive idiot

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    ICBM said:
    Do you mean the tip of the barrel jack?

:)

ie guitar lead tip > 3.5mm plug tip > barrel plug tip = buzz?

If so that would make sense as to why the T.Rex cables were wrong - they were probably the standard converter cables which have the barrel sleeve (positive) to 3.5mm tip (positive) because that's what you need to connect an old MXR/EH/ProCo pedal to a common power supply.
    Yes that's right. I assume the cables I need are negative at both ends then?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    Bucket said:
    ICBM said:
    Do you mean the tip of the barrel jack?

:)

ie guitar lead tip > 3.5mm plug tip > barrel plug tip = buzz?

If so that would make sense as to why the T.Rex cables were wrong - they were probably the standard converter cables which have the barrel sleeve (positive) to 3.5mm tip (positive) because that's what you need to connect an old MXR/EH/ProCo pedal to a common power supply.
    Yes that's right. I assume the cables I need are negative at both ends then?
    Yes - tip to tip/sleeve to sleeve, which is the logical way to build them but doesn't correspond to the conventional wiring of either jack… don't you just love conventions?!

The tip-positive 3.5mm jack is sensible because the ground is then automatic via the mounting nut, but the barrel jack is daft, almost as if it was done to be difficult on purpose - you can't use a non-insulated jack because the mounting is positive, and if you accidentally leave an unconnected cable on a pedalboard the outer barrel shorts if it touches against anything grounded, which is pretty much anything on a pedalboard...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martmart Frets: 5205
    If I've understood the above, then I think my cables will be just the thing. On mine the sleeve is connected to the sleeve, and the tip to the tip.

If that's what you need, PM me an address, and I'll pop them in a Jiffy bag for you.
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
    mike_l said:
    AlanP said:
    Just start looking for something else...

I look for my sanity, found loads of good stuff along the way........
      I found one of my marbles once.
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
    I blame 'Grumlins' myself. 

Have you noticed how often you put a pen, or something down, then go to pick it up, and it's not there.

Even seconds after putting it down it has mysteriously vanished into the 'ether'.
    OK it's a pen, it probably rolled off, no, it's not on the floor, or where I just put it, most peculiar.
    I have not moved from where I am sitting, but I'll get up and scour the area, no, scour the room, no.

Damn, just get another pen and finish writing.
    Go to put the pen down, and guess what - there is the other pen - just where you thought you'd left it.

Is it just me, or does that sort of thing happen to other people too?

I blame 'Grumlins', beings from another dimension, determined to wreak a bit of havoc with us mere mortals.  They reach through the fabric of 'space / time' and grab the thing you are just about to use, then titter themselves senseless while you look high and low for it.  Then when you solve the issue in an ingenious human way (i.e. get another pen), they loose interest and just pop it back where it was, just to wind you up completely.

Is it just me?  or "do I need to take my tablets now, nurse?"  
    ;)

We always called those nasty little buggers Gloms.   Somewhere, there is a massive "treasure hoard" of lighters, pens, bottle openers, single socks, screws, remote controls, nail clippers, etc.

Even better is when you look high and low for something, empty all your pockets, tear a room apart, and accuse everyone there of taking something- only to discover it's been in your hand the entire time... ( or, in the case of a pen, tucked behind your ear)   I've done that with lighters before.  Sure sign it's time to lay off the funny smelling green tobacco for the night.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Pyroman said:
    mike_l said:
    AlanP said:
    Just start looking for something else...

I look for my sanity, found loads of good stuff along the way........
      I found one of my marbles once.
    enough of the one-up manship, just cos you found one, and I didn't.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Wife's handbag. Guitar case pocket, I found the expensive lead I was looking for there last night. If you have a toddler, child's play kitchen oven. 
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."