Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Boutique PAF for the Gibson Historic Tone

What's Hot

Have a Les Paul Standard 2013 with BB Pros. I don't mind them, but was wondering if anyone has any experience in changing them out and putting in something a bit more boutique. Any insights.

Ive heard good things about Lindy Fralin Pure PAF.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15380
    tFB Trader
    so many to choose from

Lollar as you mentioned are worth looking at - I find them more crisp - Not thin - almost a single coil snap/clarity about them and more of a 335 voice than LP - open rich smooth and clear

Not tried them yet but Monty p/ups - http://www.montysguitars.com/ - they are getting many rave reviews

Maybe no specific answer and on FB you'll get plenty of suggestions - truth is that until you fit them and like/dislike them, you'll never know

For know other reason that I've not tried them and heard so much fuss about them I'd go down the Monty line - but it is only a hunch
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Mojo
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • so many to choose from

Lollar as you mentioned are worth looking at - I find them more crisp - Not thin - almost a single coil snap/clarity about them and more of a 335 voice than LP - open rich smooth and clear

Not tried them yet but Monty p/ups - http://www.montysguitars.com/ - they are getting many rave reviews

Maybe no specific answer and on FB you'll get plenty of suggestions - truth is that until you fit them and like/dislike them, you'll never know

For know other reason that I've not tried them and heard so much fuss about them I'd go down the Monty line - but it is only a hunch

Mark, how do Throbaks compare with Lollars? (I know you've had a few of each on various Collings)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421

Have a Les Paul Standard 2013 with BB Pros. I don't mind them, but was wondering if anyone has any experience in changing them out and putting in something a bit more boutique. Any insights.

Ive heard good things about Lindy Fralin Pure PAF.

Good luck I've spent a lot of money in that rabbit hole
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you can get hold of some, I recommend Shed of Wales.
    I had some in a Les Paul Std and they totally transformed the guitar.
    Haussel are also worth a try.
  • Mojo is always my first port of call 

Saying that Seymour Duncans are usually good and you have a wealth of choice both new and used. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3287
    tFB Trader
    I swear by SD Antiquities, but Mojo has a stunning range of stuff also
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    OX4 pickups..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    As @guitars4you rightly says, there are times to choose from, it all comes down to which 'brand' you prefer I think. Personally I'm a big Mojo Pickups fan.

That said, I have heard from a couple of people who's opinions I really respect that Monty's PAF's are the closest to original PAF's currently available.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • markjmarkj Frets: 944
    edited December 2016
    Its a tough one, and a costly one. Went through a couple of sets of Bareknuckles without finding what I wanted.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    Calling @customkits ;
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4959
    edited December 2016
    Trying to recommend a pick-up is like trying to recommend a guitar amp speaker - there are so many, and everyone likes different things.  

Years ago, there was a guitar design (originally John Birch I think, and then IIRC Hamer or Shergold?), who made a guitar where the p/ups were 'modular', and encased in a resin 'holder' that could be popped out of the guitar and other types popped back in in 5 secs flat with no need to solder - the connection points were built in.  It was a brilliant concept that just never seemed to catch on - but the idea was you could go into a store and pop in a dozen or more different p/ups to hear them in your guitar, & then buy the ones you liked.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    edited December 2016 tFB Trader

Mark, how do Throbaks compare with Lollars? (I know you've had a few of each on various Collings)
    I think that Throbaks sound better and more realistic in an LP style than on  a 335 style - Not sure why - maybe to throaty on a 335 and I prefer the articulation of a 335 - on a 335 style they maybe work if you like a thicker Clapton/Cream tone, but for more of a Larry Carlton open clean voice they are to much for me - This might help 

- Can't find the link straight away but a good shoot out with Pat and Doug as well

Yet I've just fitted a set of Throbaks on a 2004 period LP Standard and they have that velvet voice with a single coil clarity that ensures good articulation on gain channels and a Pete Green open voice with excellent clarity when you use less gain
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    edited December 2016 tFB Trader
    Have fun and listen to lots of clips
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    here is a great article via Tone Quest a couple of years ago 

http://www.tonequest.com/files/TQRJan09_proof.pdf

Can't find the exact part of the feature, but I love the quote that effectively states 'how do you accurately replicate something that was built on an ad hoc basis, with different ingredients and different tolerances almost each time they made them
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Mark, how do Throbaks compare with Lollars? (I know you've had a few of each on various Collings)
    I think that Throbaks sound better and more realistic in an LP style than on  a 335 style - Not sure why - maybe to throaty on a 335 and I prefer the articulation of a 335 - on a 335 style they maybe work if you like a thicker Clapton/Cream tone, but for more of a Larry Carlton open clean voice they are to much for me - This might help 

- Can't find the link straight away but a good shoot out with Pat and Doug as well

Yet I've just fitted a set of Throbaks on a 2004 period LP Standard and they have that velvet voice with a single coil clarity that ensures good articulation on gain channels and a Pete Green open voice with excellent clarity when you use less gain

@guitars4you. Thanks for the info.
  • OX4's.

JD swears by them...
    tFB Trader

Found it - great quote from above Tone Quest article

The truth is, no one may ever be capable of reproducing the exact tone, dynamic and vocal character, clarity, bloom and rich harmonics found in a great set of PAFs, which were, after all, essentially happy accidents created by the convergence of extremely varied and largely undocumented materials and components, assembled by relatively unskilled factory workers laboring with flexible specifications and imprecise equipment
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    edited December 2016

Found it - great quote from above Tone Quest article

The truth is, no one may ever be capable of reproducing the exact tone, dynamic and vocal character, clarity, bloom and rich harmonics found in a great set of PAFs, which were, after all, essentially happy accidents created by the convergence of extremely varied and largely undocumented materials and components, assembled by relatively unskilled factory workers laboring with flexible specifications and imprecise equipment
    Or they're easily repeatable by a lot of companies these days.  I really don't think there's any secrets left for the mighty pAf to tell.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    There is no correct answer because it's a moving target, not all PAFs sound the same.  

You can probably find at least as wide a variation between real PAFs as between new replicas. 

If you're really trying to hit a specific sound I'd recommend buying any properly made PAF clone then experiment with magnets to fine tune it. 

You may even find exactly what you want by changing magnets in your existing pickups, it only costs a few quid and the SD forum is a mine of useful info.