Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is your tuning song?

What's Hot
Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
edited December 2016 in Guitar
I assume this isn't mutually exclusive to moi.

What song do you use as reference for tuning a guitar without a tuner?

For me it's Guerrilla Radio by RATM, 2nd fret E, open E, 2nd Fret A - I can always use this to get the top E to a relatively good pitch, to then work from using the traditional octaves method.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Jam - Mr Clean, tune open D and the rest from there

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I use a tuner.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    RATM Know Your Enemy main riff for me :)
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4491
    I tend to use a tuner but ALWAYS strum Gmaj > Dmaj > Cmaj > Emin when I've just finished tuning. It's the law.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

When I've tuned up I always strum an E chord, for some reason it's easier for me to hear if any strings need tweaking.

Don't know why!

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited December 2016
    In my head without a tuner or the record:

So far away - E
    Johnny B Goode - A
    Rock n Roll - D
    Ticket to ride - G
    Hotel California - B

It won't be as accurate as a tuner, nothing ever is but if i'm stuck without one they're the songs i hear in my head to tune to.

My 'In tune' chord is G but i add the D in at the 3rd fret on the B string because it sounds a bit more full.

When i use a tuner, i still have to check the G chord to hear it's right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 440Hz - I can tune to within a few cents from a slack string, and then the rest from there. Close enough for rock 'n roll anyways!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    What is this tuning of which you speak?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well I use a tuner but if by ear I'll play the bassline to The Chain and tune up from there. I'll also play an open G chord slowly as a quick check.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7973
    edited December 2016
    Given there are phone app tuners I guess this isn't a much of a thing anymore. Saying that I can usually get quite close to a B (my low string) by ear and a bit of feel (as in his tight the string feels).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I play riffs, first Day Tripper, and then Ohio (But without the Bass Note), and then I strum the chords of Hotel Yorba (G, C, D) 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4959
    I pick out the notes of a GMaj7, CMaj7 and DMaj7 chord and sometimes do the intro picking to Stairway.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Our vocalist used to gab a little between every "mini-set" of 3 songs, I tuned silently with a tuner plugged into the volume pedal's extra out for just that purpose during these verbal assaults on the audience.  So, no.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• First chord is ALWAYS the "Hendrix chord"...E7b9 or whatever it is...you know the one.

Dunno why. 

Open G is the best chord to check tuning with, though, nowhere for those out-of-tune strings to hide with that one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    I've often said that tuning is overrated.
    As long as all the strings are roughly the same tension, that's enough for me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    WTF is, or is the need for, a "tuning song"? It reads like some people are becoming over-reliant on electronic tuners, and don't have a clue what's actually needed, or how to tune the instrument to either itself, or other instruments or references, which is worrying.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 993
    edited December 2016
    ^I think what the OP is talking about is the OPPOSITE to relying on an electronic tuner. 

A "tuning song" is a song you know so well, internally, that you can sing the first note or the root note to the first chord to within a few cents, every time, without reference to anything... and then use that to rough-tune a completely out-of-tune guitar. In other words, it's a technique for reproducing, or faking, perfect pitch on one specific note.

My "tuning song" used to be the extremely obscure but rather lovely Faded Glamour by Animals That Swim. Lovely big fat chiming D chord intro... I could hit that on the nail just about every time.

I've let the talent slip of late, though. 
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    But you don't need an entire song to tune a guitar - you just need to know how to tune a guitar.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4959
    Tune a guitar? - Sorry, you've lost me...nope
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Livin on a Prayer - E
    Wanted Dead or Alive - D

Sorry, I'm a child of the 80's

There's also the following (if you want to be just far enough from 440 for it to grate a little).
    Take it Easy - nearly G
    Layla (intro riff) - almost, but not quite A
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom