I;d like some opinions. Is this a fair trade?

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15380
    tFB Trader
    @guitars4you has nailed it, I gotta say we're lucky to have a dealer on here who is down the line and actively contributes without pushing his wares, the forums better for it, ................................now how about a nice discount :P
    Ta - off topic here - but I enjoy it - almost a year now and appreciate blogs in many ways and feel I've learnt a lot as well - Plus met a few new faces so I'm a converted fan - Would I lie and say I've not had any business from FB ? and as such I can't say that is or was not part of my intentions when I joined - But I think it is more than that and I respect FB and its members for that - I enjoy the time on it and would far more spend time on FB then Twitter and Face Book anyd ay - thanks

Did I ignore the bit about the discount ????????
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • AndrewM said:
    I got the PRS in a trade, for a Mayones Regius 6.

What do you mean by MEs are Paul's 59 LPs? I'm not that clued up on guitar markets as you can tell dizzy 
    Just in my view that all the praise that is thrown by Gibson lovers at a 59 LP for all that they possess, then in my view  the PRS Modern Eagle deserves the same plaudits etc

I'm still surprised they are for sale around 3-4K and what have expected prices to be higher tan this - so time will tell
    I see! I thought they were a dud or something.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15380
    tFB Trader
    AndrewM said:
    AndrewM said:
    I got the PRS in a trade, for a Mayones Regius 6.

What do you mean by MEs are Paul's 59 LPs? I'm not that clued up on guitar markets as you can tell dizzy 
    Just in my view that all the praise that is thrown by Gibson lovers at a 59 LP for all that they possess, then in my view  the PRS Modern Eagle deserves the same plaudits etc

I'm still surprised they are for sale around 3-4K and what have expected prices to be higher tan this - so time will tell
    I see! I thought they were a dud or something.
    no - far from it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3846
    If you only want the Strat and Explorer perhaps do a deal where he gives you some cash on top for the trade?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I already suggested that, he's not interested. I doubt I'm going to do it, I already said no, but I was GAS-ing over the pictures he sent me this morning and was starting to change my mind again.

• I personally dont think their worth as much as yours, especially with the £200 on top the faded LP is very much low end of gibson, the explorer well not really desirable these days , and a Strat is a strat. 
    Les Paul: £450
    Fender Strat £500
    Explorer £500 to £650

Minus £200 = £1550 for yours, I personally wouldn't as for me its 3 Meh guitars for one stunner.

To me, those estimates look about right-ish (perhaps a bit generous for the Explorer - as there are a few going at discounted prices new)... but I'm not sure I understand the maths.

Total of the 3 guitars - using your values - are £1450 to £1600... then take off the £200 cash contribution... and the offer looks more like £1250 to £1400 for the PRS.

Am I missing something?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    guitars4you said:

So on paper it might not be a bad deal, but I would not do it - plus then you have the potential of 3 guitars to sell - so 3 times the hassle
    As a dealer you're right, but as a private seller I would say it's easier to sell three £500 guitars than one £1500 guitar (assuming all are priced fairly).

If you want to keep one or two of the guitars it's even easier.

Strat_a_tat_tat said:

Total of the 3 guitars - using your values - are £1450 to £1600... then take off the £200 cash contribution... and the offer looks more like £1250 to £1400 for the PRS.

Am I missing something?

I don't think so, those are roughly the values I thought too. I think the deal is very fair - as in equally fair to both parties - ie no-one is coming out ahead, not a "bite his hand off and run away" deal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Does the rosewood neck not make my PRS worth more?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4959
    edited December 2016
    AndrewM said:
    Does the rosewood neck not make my PRS worth more?
    Not at the moment because all the Cu24's/Cu22's etc have rosewood necks, but as the wood restrictions 'bite' manufacturers will be forced to consider other options. Top PRS eg Modern Eagles fingerboards and necks are typically made using Brazillian Rosewood which is more expensive, rarer, and more desirable than Indian rosewood.  Indian rosewood is the most common fingerboard wood - although 'nothing special' at the moment, it will become more desireable than alternatives such as baked maple. Other woods used are ebony (eg LP Customs) and maple (strats, tele's etc).  

How long new production guitars will continue with these 'traditional' woods will largely depend on current stocks, legal availability, and interpretation of legislation.  

Once all wells are dry so to speak and new guitars are largely made with 'alternative materials', then all guitars with 'traditional woods' will likely see some uplift in value - but when & how much will have to be seen. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4959
    Thought you might be interested in these Anderton blog articles on fingerboard material:

https://blog.andertons.co.uk/guitars/fretboard-tone-wood-guide

https://blog.andertons.co.uk/guitars/gibson-baked-maple-fingerboard-guide
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • They all have rosewood fingerboards, mine is a solid rosewood neck!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I wouldn't do it purely because it's 3 guitars. 

No one trades 3 good guitars in one go. If I really, really wanted your PRS I could part with one guitar that I love. Maybe. Absolutely no way i could part with 3 good guitars in one go. It's all 216 stuff too...played them a bit, they're no good, get rid.. it's one of those "a bunch of stuff I've got laying around" trades. And he wants £200 too? You'd have to be insane 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader
    You can only play one guitar at a time so I'd always have one great guitar over 3 mediocre ones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • You can only play one guitar at a time so I'd always have one great guitar over 3 mediocre ones.
    Absolutely agree. 

I don't regret my CS Strat - but there are plenty of cheaper guitars that I've lost money on that weren't such great buys....
  • I wouldn't do it purely because it's 3 guitars. 

No one trades 3 good guitars in one go. If I really, really wanted your PRS I could part with one guitar that I love. Maybe. Absolutely no way i could part with 3 good guitars in one go. It's all 216 stuff too...played them a bit, they're no good, get rid.. it's one of those "a bunch of stuff I've got laying around" trades. And he wants £200 too? You'd have to be insane 
    This is a great point!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    AndrewM said:

Does the rosewood neck not make my PRS worth more?
    Yes, probably a bit. That's why I said £1300 instead of £1200.

It's hard to get more than £1200 for a PRS Custom at the moment.

I wouldn't do it purely because it's 3 guitars. 

No one trades 3 good guitars in one go.
    They do if it's for something they really want.

Also, the difference between an average guitar and a good one is usually the set-up.

Obviously it's up to you, but if it was me I would do the swap, sell the one I like least and then think about selling the one I like second least, and end up around £800 better off having swapped a hard guitar to sell for something you actually want.

You have more than one PRS anyway...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited December 2016
    I'd swap. But then I don't like PRS's. Then I'd have to swap the Strat for an SG... ;) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I'd rather keep the PRS and have it perpetually on sale for a price you'd be willing to let it go for. If it doesn't sell you still have a stunning guitar.
  • If you already have 2 other PRSs and don't use this one much, and you fancy a bit more variety then I think it's a no brainer. I think your PRS is stunning, but if you aren't using it and you'd quite like 2 of his 3 (and the gibson will be easy to shift) then that seals it for me. Say deal but £100 cash his way, final offer.
  • He's now offering me a Les Paul Deluxe plus the Explorer in a straight trade.

Is that better or worse?