Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your year making music

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    Meh year. Done nothing. Might have stuck a guitar vid on YouTube early on, I can't remember to be honest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I managed to release the 3rd. "Dulcet Jones" album early in the summer.  In September I made a snap decision to retire from my day job, was planning to work a few more months but didn't really need to so.  Went to an open jam and "fell into" a band!  We're doing a live gig this Saturday, just 6 songs as part of a benefit show.  We do a kind of electric folk thing with no drums or bass, just 2 electric guitars, electric piano/synth, harmonica, bongos and vocals.  All original music.  I said I would never play live again about 5 years ago but here we go!  Being that this band only plans to play 5 or 6 gigs a year, mostly one short set each I will still have lots of time to work on more "Dulcet Jones" music.  Perfect. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• dindudedindude Frets: 8561
    To answer the question, I believe my year making music was 1997 - still at Uni, loads of time, originals band with plenty of gigs. Since then, not really. Although I did A/B quite a few pedals in 2016.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I can get a bit gear-obsessed myself, I admit that, but I do enjoy chatting about gear on forums like this, and it does no harm - just saying that in a polite, friendly way! :D .

And on the other hand, I reckon I will have done about 100 gigs this year, mostly jazz, but also I'm enjoying a new band project which is taking me into more pop/funk/soul kind of territory - we did our first gig last Friday, and it was enormous fun. Not all the gigs I've done have been great, but the ones where there is something happening make it all very worth while. :) 

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Bit late to the party but I don't come to this section much, sadly.

I've actually had a great year. I joined the best originals band I've ever been a part of, with whom I have played many gigs to audiences of various sizes - some really big crowds though, so that was good. We've also recorded and released an EP, and are about to put out our second music video. I've also played a couple of really big gigs with another originals band I've been with for a couple of years, although that has been put on hiatus recently.

I've been the new gigging bass player for the orchestra who were finalists on Britain's Got Talent last year, and played a couple of very big gigs with them - we did a BBC thing the other day, and also played at a fairly important awards ceremony for a huge number of paying guests a few weeks ago. I don't know how much I'll continue to work with them, but it's been a pretty damn cool ride.

I've also done a few decent functions gigs. The biggest crowd I'd played to this time last year was perhaps a couple of hundred, now it's a couple of thousand... I feel like it's been a good one! I'm hoping next year will be even better.

Quick shot from my biggest originals gig this year...

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13686647_1136261439730685_1936301042707955376_n.jpg?oh=d1db2b00acad388b98185ee2b43816aa&oe=58FB53AE
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Bucket sounds like an amazing year! Grab as many opportunities as you can would be my advice - I barely have time to do 1 band these days, life just gets in the way.
  • Got a new drummer in August and since then we've had our first couple of pub gigs, recorded a 9 track album, had a song on the radio (albeit BBC York introducing), sold some downloads on iTunes. Looking forward to 2017.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/1zYKWeoUAx0WDXP287K6Pf

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom