Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Humanist Celebrant-led funerals

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094

TimmyO said:
    Chalky said:
    I went to  one, it was easily the best I've been to

I was brought up to be religious, but it's failed to  take root

Me and my  Mrs are planning a swift, ceremony-free  cremation, inspired by David Bowie. i.e. no one in attendance.
    Followed by a  handful of people chucking the ashes in the sea  at some point

This makes me chuckle - people who are humanist and not religious but who get particular about what happens to ashes.  To a sober mind like mine, the ashes are just ashes, so why put them anywhere?
    What about humanism precludes liking the idea of it? 
    Actually not I don't want to get in to it here :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    Sorry you feel that way about my post @evilmags and @TommyO. It was not intended to insult or hurt anyone. I always feel a deep sense of loss when someone dies. The concept of Best or Worst does not apply to funerals in my view, all deaths are sad occasions. Of course I extend my deepest sympathies to all who are affected: ffamily members, relatives and friends. A funeral service, be it Humanist or Religious, is there to support the family members at the sad time of the passing of a loved one.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    TimmyO said:

TimmyO said:
    Chalky said:
    I went to  one, it was easily the best I've been to

I was brought up to be religious, but it's failed to  take root

Me and my  Mrs are planning a swift, ceremony-free  cremation, inspired by David Bowie. i.e. no one in attendance.
    Followed by a  handful of people chucking the ashes in the sea  at some point

This makes me chuckle - people who are humanist and not religious but who get particular about what happens to ashes.  To a sober mind like mine, the ashes are just ashes, so why put them anywhere?
    What about humanism precludes liking the idea of it? 
    Actually not I don't want to get in to it here :-) 
    I wasn't arguing for religion in funerals @TimmyO. Just never understood the thing with ashes.  Seems just as arbitrary as religion!  :3