Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Alien: Covenant

What's Hot

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2952
    Prometheus is the sort of film that people who get a hard-on over criticising film feasibility and the like go mental over.

I quite liked the fact that it posed far more questions than answers. It didn't feel like your typical summer blockbuster with lazy plot-holes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, Neill Blomkamp is directing Alien 5 which will feature Ripley and Hicks so Weaver and Biehn are back and the last two sequels will be ignored. Got high hopes for that one too.
    Didn't that get canned again?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24845
    Bidley said:
    Prometheus is the sort of film that people who get a hard-on over criticising film feasibility and the like go mental over.

I quite liked the fact that it posed far more questions than answers. It didn't feel like your typical summer blockbuster with lazy plot-holes.
    It has its own brand of plot holes instead.

Millions of them.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Can't wait for Alien Covenant. I liked Prometheus! I think I read that the Alien 5 thing has been scrapped. Going to Rogue One on Christmas Eve.
    Link to my trading feedback
    Bidley said:

It has its own brand of plot holes instead.

Millions of them.
    Yes, that's what I liked about it.
  • It's likely it will be ok not great. 

Alien was superb not just for the direction but for Dan O'Bannon's screenplay.  More often than not if you see a film which has several writers, especially the words 'Re Written' by, it's not going to be great.  John Logan who did the rewrite is ok, but not great to my tastes. 

Nothing will be as great as Alien, as without a writer of the calibre of Dan O'Bannon there will never be as robust a screenplay. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    It's likely it will be ok not great. 

Alien was superb not just for the direction but for Dan O'Bannon's screenplay.  More often than not if you see a film which has several writers, especially the words 'Re Written' by, it's not going to be great.  John Logan who did the rewrite is ok, but not great to my tastes. 

Nothing will be as great as Alien, as without a writer of the calibre of Dan O'Bannon there will never be as robust a screenplay. 
    The original Alien also had the shock value of a new concept on its side. I can remember being scared stiff watching it at the cinema. None of the sequels were quite as good...you kind of know what will happen. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    None of the sequels were quite as good...you kind of know what will happen. 
    That's probably because they all had a totally different tone to the original.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Alien 5 has been postponed until after Covenant and is still going ahead afaik. 

Not a shot at anyone but I do wonder how many plot holes in any film are actually noticed while watching instead of reading about afterwards. 
    I must admit, if I've enjoyed a film I usually head straight to t'internet to find out all I can about it, see what I missed etc. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6268
    I'm a big Alien fan, and for me, all the films have their good points, even Resurrection. I wathced Alien again the other night, its a fantastic film.

As for Prometheus, I really enjoyed it. All of it.
  • The first two are the easily the best. I liked the idea of 3 but the fx haven't aged well and the acting's pretty bad. Resurrection was enjoyable but too cheesy and the hybrid alien at the end pretty much ruined it for me. 
    Prometheus' biggest problem for me is that it's not a direct prequel but not different enough to be something else entirely. 
    The original script had some great ideas that helped to explain the xeno's origins and also a lot of the plot holes that infuriated so many people. 
    I watched a good video about on YT, I'll post if I can find it. 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    plot holes in Prometheus weren't the problem, it was the lack of any characterisation or sense. Plus the needless comic relief. Maybe the scriptwriter intended it to be played for laughs, I don't know.

Amazing to look at though on the big screen in 3D.
  • But those the characters are different in the original draft, honestly, the original version is very different. No black goo or giant vagina squid monsters for a start! 
  • I realise I'm starting to sound like a fanboi but it's more out of frustration because as much I liked Prometheus, I wish they'd gone with the earlier version. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2177
    You have to admit that casting Fassbender as an android was pretty inspired.

I'm looking forward to this, after watching all of the alien films back to back last year. Prometheus is not the weakest of the bunch. If Ridley is back on form then it should be pretty good.

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • DrJazzTap said:
    I'm looking forward to this, after watching all of the alien films back to back last year. Prometheus is not the weakest of the bunch. If Ridley is back on form then it should be pretty good.
    Ridley Scott is an amazing director when it comes to visuals and creating a cinematic world, but he needs a decent screenwriter - e.g. Drew Goddard for The Martian etc 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2177
    DrJazzTap said:
    Ridley Scott is an amazing director when it comes to visuals and creating a cinematic world, but he needs a decent screenwriter - e.g. Drew Goddard for The Martian etc 
    I was literally about to write the same thing =)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • I liked Prometheus but found it a bit frustrating. I've got a copy of the original Jon Spaihts script, Alien: Engineers, before Damon Lindelof got involved. It links to the Alien films much better than the final draft. 
    Linky:

http://www.joblo.com/scripts/Alien-Engineers-ORIGINAL-PROMETHEUS-SCRIPT.pdf

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4378
    I liked Prometheus but found it a bit frustrating. I've got a copy of the original Jon Spaihts script, Alien: Engineers, before Damon Lindelof got involved. It links to the Alien films much better than the final draft. 
    Linky:

Cheers for that.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5218
    edited December 2016
    CHRISB50 said:
    I liked Prometheus but found it a bit frustrating. I've got a copy of the original Jon Spaihts script, Alien: Engineers, before Damon Lindelof got involved. It links to the Alien films much better than the final draft. 
    Linky:

Cheers for that.
    You're welcome. I hadn't read it myself so I was interested to see it. Currently about 80 pages in.

FYI the first fifty-odd pages are substantially similar to the finished film, aside from a couple of things that will probably turn out to foreshadow something different at the end.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.