Many wise words here for pedal buyers

juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

http://www.danekinser.com/?p=629
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    Having built a couple of pedals myself I know how easily wiring can become a mess, but there are things in those gutshots that are scary.

I wouldn't dream of selling mine commercially.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    Excellent piece. And nice to know most of my own builds are towards the better side, looking at those pics!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I've had a few shitty builds from small volume builders, its kind of the reason that now i try to stick to mass produced pedals, they spend thousands on R&D to make sure their designs work where as a lot of the newer smaller builders are just throwing stuff together based on an existing design.

My approach to pedals, amps and guitars is now "Boutique is not a word to describe good tone, its a word associated with vanity and plebs"
  • All of those

Literally every single one

Still looks better than the innards of my fuzz build :D

Needless to say, I didn't know much about lead dress.
  • MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    Im so sure about expecting a builder to supply a gut shot .
    If its a well known circuit probably not much to lose from the builders point of view but if they actually came up with something quite a bit different even if its based on a well known circuit you can understand them for not wanting it pasted all over the net before money has changed hands .
    If it was me I wouldnt have a problem offering up a gut shot because I know its a mugs game in any case . If we produce a popular solution its always a matter of time before a 3rd party schematic follows .
    Copy right dont apply to schem's, (PCB image does) etc .
    Flown the nest .
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    As above - glad to see that my own efforts qualify as at least "average" ^__^
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    Nice link :)
  • great article. a couple of years back i really got into building but by no means was i anywhere near what id class as "a builder" or something that could be saleable. as i enjoyed it i wound up doing some builds for friends just for parts money, everything went well. 
    then one of them bust and as i couldn't fix it i gave the lad his 15 quid or whatever for parts back and i just felt like shit about the whole affair. 
    what worries me is that theres people out there who couldn't give a shit about stuff like that and as this article points out its so easy to just start up a "business" even if you're not turning over vast amounts of money. i bought a couple of "home builds" off ebay sellers and they've been ok but not exactly what i was expecting. i think in future ill research a lot more into the builders or buy established especially since SOME builders now think they can whack an inflated price tag on 20 quids worth of parts.
    How very rock and roll