Analogue Optical Cable

What's Hot

Iconic Soundiconic

Iconic Sound has developed the world’s first analogue, jack-to-jack, optical guitar cable, whereby no modification to either the guitar or the amp is required for use. The new cable boasts zero capacitance, zero loading, electronic safety and an almost infinite life span, amongst a host of other features. The signal is not digitised in any way and is not on any kind of carrier.

Furthermore, the technology at work in the cable has the ability to be adapted to all areas of the audio industry, such as microphones, studio patch bays, speakers, and any audio connectivity cabling.

With two patents pending worldwide, Iconic Sound is currently holding talks with a number of guitar cable manufacturers regarding the licensing of the product, whilst also looking to license the technology to headphone, speaker, microphones, patch bay, and other related audio companies.

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• #1 - I can't imagine they're going to be cheap by any stretch
    #2 - I'm not sure I'd trust an optical cable's longevity on a stage with all the other idiots musicians on there...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    cool idea, but can't help but think it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist... :/ 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    It is a bit early in the year for an April Fools joke my friend. :)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13588

#2 - I'm not sure I'd trust an optical cable's longevity on a stage with all the other idiots musicians on there...
    this,   my experience of optical cables,   durability isnt(wasnt) high on its list of attributes.............. 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Besides which...take a look at the digital wireless solutions out there - they have to have an option to attenuate the treble, because lossless transfer between guitar and amp actually doesn't sound that great.
    <space for hire>
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Not Curly enough.

• strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3538
    edited January 2014
    Plus those plugs are huge and take batteries,  very cumbersome in strat type sockets I would have thought.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I'm quite interested to see something modern using analogue optical. 

That goes back to Laserdisk.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    I'm sceptical at best. I can't imagine any situation where this is inherently better than a short guitar lead.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I don't understand how it works.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm holding out for Russ Andrews to start making guitar cables ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    holnrew said:
    A magnetic pickup converts the deflection in a wire in a magnetic field into a corresponding voltage. The voltage is proportional to the deflection of the wire. In this device the light intensity is proportional to the deflection of the wire. 

It's the same principle as the optocouplers you find in compressors just with a fibre between the two ends. 
  • What colour light?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    holnrew said:
    A magnetic pickup converts the deflection in a wire in a magnetic field into a corresponding voltage. The voltage is proportional to the deflection of the wire. In this device the light intensity is proportional to the deflection of the wire. 

It's the same principle as the optocouplers you find in compressors just with a fibre between the two ends. 
    Ah, thanks.
    My V key is broken
  • www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • That's faaaaaaar too cheap to be any good, I want the same standard as his hi-fi stuff! ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25570
    edited July 2016
    Necro thread.

this is on Dragons Den now!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25570
    Holy shit! Someone gave them £70,000 investment.

they should have asked on here!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    If you want to know how they do it, it's all disclosed in detail here.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30219
    edited August 2016
    bertie said:

this,   my experience of optical cables,   durability isnt(wasnt) high on its list of attributes.............. 
    Optical fibre has a higher breaking strain than many copper cables. We do a demo of this by putting a loose knot in an optical fibre cable (it works with our own or with commercial off the shelf stuff - no tricks) that's carrying a high resolution video image to a monitor. We then get people from the audience to pull the knot tight - as tight as they can. No-one has ever broken the cable or disrupted the image. It's not a set-up - the stuff genuinely is this strong.

The glass core is very fragile, but once it's wrapped in kevlar and sheath it's very, very strong. Bung all of that into an overall jacket like a guitar cable and it'll be stronger than a conventional guitar cable.

The stuff in the patent is interesting in that it's a very simple circuit. I am not a patent lawyer, but I am surprised it was awarded as there's significant prior art.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."