Long speaker cables

relic245relic245 Frets: 982
Is there any problem using long speaker cables, say around 10m?

We don't always have good monitoring and me and the bass player would both like to set up one cab on each side of the stage. I'm using a Blackstar Artisan, he's using a Mark Bass amp of some kind. 

So one cab will have a normal length cable and the other a long one.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• As far as I understand it you should have no problem with 10m speaker cables.  Speaker cable length doesn't seem to matter as much as instrument cable length.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I've done this in a two guitar band, both of us had two cabs so we both set up with one cab each side. Only risk is the cables being pulled out by the drummer!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    As long as they're decent gauge it doesn't matter. PA speaker cables are that sort of length.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    ICBM said:
    As long as they're decent gauge it doesn't matter. PA speaker cables are that sort of length.
    yep,  mrs bert has 20m cables for "certain venues"  good fat sommer I made up for her
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1670

There is a little design secret with all Blackstar amps that means you probably could not afford to BUY enough cable to bother one!

Then, valve amps like the Artisans (cathode biased, no NFB) have such a high output impedance (for a power amp!) that even quite a lot of modest 5amp cable won't matter diddly.

Dave.

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    lol 8-|
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31935
    I probably run 15m in my studio, I have a large vocal booth with cabs in it and the amps are next to my desk. Sounds great, and I love being able to dial in a cranked, miked-up amp from my office chair :)
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 982
    Great news thanks for the replies.

Good to know that I can use longer without damaging my amp but I'm sure if I'm ever more than 10 m from the bass player then we'll be miked up and have some kind of monitoring - and probably a sound engineer doing it all for us too :)