Interesting Acoustics video thread

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    sorry Chris, I left your quote in but forgot to respond -
    "Joel Michaud definitely knows how to make a guitar though."
    Chris, my point about gigging with these ‘investment’ grade instruments was exactly that they are not guitars as we know and use them. God forbid that they ever get a scuff on the lacquer or a ding.
    They are bought up from aspiring luthiers (with the right pedigree) for not much (relatively) money and  given suitable exposure in the right places to elevate them to desirable status - investment secured.
    And yeah, they may well be good or even great guitars stripped back to purely a musical instrument level and in 'players' hands but that's not they're purpose.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4374
    No worries @AliGorie I think I misunderstood what you were getting at. I presumed you were saying you thought they were a bit shit. I didn't agree with that.

I can't imagine they see much action at your average open mic night down the Dog and Duck. As you say, they are an investment of sorts and doubt many would take the chance of dinging one. I understand what your getting at. They are more of a YouTube demoed in the living room kind of thing.

The point I was trying to make is that these are lovely instruments no matter what their intended use is, or the setting in which they are played. I agree though that they are definitely made for a certain kind of audience.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

ok, this is the kinda ‘gigging’ most of these guitars do -
    found this 'over there -

on average 2.5k minimum a piece and u can bet hardly a mark on them - what a waste of dead trees - it's the equivalent of having animal trophy  heads on u'r wall for all the use they'll be put to.
    And no, I'm not envious, got a couple of fine guitars I take to sessions and (very) occasionally gig with.
    really like NK Forsers work, if I was having a guitar built he's on a very short list of potential makers, there was a vid of his 'D' model which given the constraints of the www has to be one of the best sounding guitars I've heard.
    And yeah, Presley Barker IS playing a superb guitar - but look at his young fingers - and playing on 13's - whats all this guff 'bout strings being tough to play ? - u just have to want to play.
    Herres a guy who builds beautiful looking and sounding instruments -
    http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail/5170-lehmann_master_model_2000_476/  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    really like NK Forsers work, if I was having a guitar built he's on a very short list of potential makers, there was a vid of his 'D' model which given the constraints of the www has to be one of the best sounding guitars I've heard.
    And yeah, Presley Barker IS playing a superb guitar - but look at his young fingers - and playing on 13's - whats all this guff 'bout strings being tough to play ? - u just have to want to play.
    Herres a guy who builds beautiful looking and sounding instruments -
    http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail/5170-lehmann_master_model_2000_476/  
  • I too am taking a belated interest in acoustic guitars and I've been scouring the web for ideas for the one for me. Ok this is not a great video (there aren't many of this guitar), but I really like the look of the Faith Venus Blood Moon; reviews all state it sounds great and uses an unusual wood (trembese)

and uses an unusual wood (trembese)

http://www.wood-database.com/monkeypod/

it’s off the legume family NOT Swietenia macrophylla which is THE real one we all love, he’s making it up !, not off the same family not even related.
    It is a relative of Monkey Pod (wood) though
    ‘Piano grade bracing - I very much doubt it - NEVER heard that (exclusive qualifier) before - lets make up a random list of meaningless soundbites.
    here's 'Piano Grade' tonewood -
    http://www.ciresafiemme.it/en/ciresa-ciresasrl-production-sale-export-piano-soundboard-ribs-wood-spruce-val-di-fiemme-valley-trentino-italy/piano-repairs-restoration-soundboards-ribs-replacement-ciresa-val-di-fiemme-valley-italy.html#prices

• mgaw said:

love the sound of this guys guitars, shes quite the singer as well IMO

@mgaw. Thanks for that... like her playing, voice and writing. I'll have to check out more of her stuff.
  • @AliGorie ; It was a shame that I posted such a poor video on this thread of so much excellence (Brooke Miller....wow)  He's blagging it, he must have misread the press release, which says it has similar timbre to mahogany

https://www.faithguitars.com/news/venus-blood-moon-now-in-uk-stores

Nice looking guitar tho.............

• TimmyO said:

mgaw said:

Came for the guitar - stayed for the songs - she's a great singer/player/songwriter - thanks 
    Plus one for that

Here too. Checked out more of her songs on YouTube, they're excellent.

• TimmyO said:

mgaw said:

Came for the guitar - stayed for the songs - she's a great singer/player/songwriter - thanks 
    Plus one for that

Here too. Checked out more of her songs on YouTube, they're excellent.