Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4067
    Nearly eight years late to the party I discover this:
    Engineers, "Clean Coloured Wire"
    It's a bit dreamy, shoegazey, laid back and groovy...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    No pictures or links, there are probably many, but lately I have been listening to Listen by Christy Moore, also the caution horses by Cowboy Junkies.

Christy Moores' stripped down version of Shine on you crazy diamond really gets to the kernel of the song IMHO.  Recommended.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• The Breeders - Pod.

The first CD I bought and a brilliant follow-up to Pixies Dolittle. I hadn't listened to it in over ten years and it is rollicking brilliant!
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    Myself Farting - - an Irish female singer...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Arc Angels self titled one and only album from the early 90s. Twin guitars of Doyle Bramhall and Charlie Sexton are great. Some of the songs are bit generic blues rock though. Still, good fun and down to earth.
    Long time favourite of mine - I bought it when it was DLT's album of the week! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    The new Steven Wilson album is fantastic. Ninet sounding astonishing as ever. Would some it up as 'pop with depth'
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23536
    edited August 2017
    AlexC said:
    Arc Angels self titled one and only album from the early 90s. Twin guitars of Doyle Bramhall and Charlie Sexton are great. Some of the songs are bit generic blues rock though. Still, good fun and down to earth.
    It's one of those albums which has a lot of dull tracks but a few really great ones which make the whole thing worthwhile.  I saw them in London a few years ago... actually I think that may have been the last gig (by anyone) I went to!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16353
    Philly_Q said:
    AlexC said:
    It's one of those albums which has a lot of dull tracks but a few really great ones which make the whole thing worthwhile.  I saw them in London a few years ago... actually I think that may have been the last gig (by anyone) I went to!
    I suspect there are a few tracks I skip. I'll have to dig it out. 
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Not sure where I found it, but I listened to The Wild "Wild at Heart" last night. Hadn't heard of these guys before but I really enjoyed it. Very obvious AC/DC etc. influences, but it's going to get a few more listens, that's for sure. Think I might've seen them in Classic Rock or something.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    @EricTheWeary, what is DLT?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16353
    Rocker said:
    @EricTheWeary, what is DLT?
    I guess they didn't have him in Ireland - Dave Lee Travis, old school BBC Radio 1 DJ sometimes known as the hairy cornflake.
    He resigned on air in 1993 ( so I was obviously listening to Arc Angels sometime before that) I think in an attempt to stop the changes* that were going on at Radio 1; to show that he was more important than the BBC controllers but failed and became a more obscure figure after that. He was arrested for sex offences a few years ago but not found guilty. In his 70s now and probably regarded as a bit of a joke ( if you've ever seen the Smashy and Nicey sketches that Harry Enfield used to do he was that kind of figure)but very popular in his heyday, if you ever watch clips from Top of the Pops from the seventies and eighties he's a regular presenter on there. 
    Anyway, I have a distinct memory of hearing Arc Angels on his show and going out and buying the album. 

*Sorry this is a series of asides. Radio 1 was the most listened to radio station in the UK for a long time and was quite a broad station playing hits, pop music. In the nineties the BBC decided it wasn't doing the right job and started to make it more youth focused. It subsequently lost a lot of listenership, although Radio 2 ( which up to then had been aimed at older listeners playing Mantovani and other easy listening type stuff) effectively picked up the slack, expanded it's appeal and gained those listeners. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4067
    Woahhh!
    Absolutely wonderful. 
    Bookmark it for later in the evening...  it's music that's in no hurry.
    This is like everything I loved about Tangerine Dream
    Nils Frahm -- "Says"

I love the YouTube comment, "Longest car wash ever..."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3962
    Syd Arthur. Great band.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29087
    Grunfeld said:
    Woahhh!
    Absolutely wonderful. 
    Nils Frahm -- "Says"

This reminded me to have another listen to my favourite of his - Said And Done. 

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Darkest Hour - Godless Prophets & The Migrant Flora

Love the vibe on this album, suits the band so much better than some of the previous releases.  Travis Orbin is such a sick drummer.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Grunfeld said:
    Woahhh!
    Absolutely wonderful. 
    Nils Frahm -- "Says"

Says is one of my all-time favourite pieces of music

This version is absolutely jaw dropping 

Stop crying, start buying
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5125
    Plectrum said:
    Leaf Hound "Growers of Mushroom"

No I'd never heard of them either but one of the tracks came up on Spotify in the pub the other day. Released in 1971 but actually recorded in 1970. The band had actually split up before the album was released. Vocalist Peter French went on to Atomic Rooster. He reformed Leaf Hound some years ago. I'm not sure how many of the original members are in it; from what video footage I've seen - not many. Apparently original vinyl copies of the album now fetch several thousand Pounds.

@Plectrum it's only Pete now. But they do a good job live. They formed out of the ashes of Black Cat Bones. The rest of that band went on to become Free.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I am listening to Dave Rawlings Machine - Nashville Obsolete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFyjrB-7S8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz97m51cczo  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom