NGD: Ibanez AS103-NT

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
edited December 2016 in Guitar
I bought @Chalky 's Ibanez AS103-NT that he had advertised a while back, some of you may remember. And it's a really lovely guitar, some might find it a bit blingy, but I like it a lot. Received in superb, pretty much as new condition, and with a lovely hard case - thanks to Chalky for being a top bloke and doing a fine job with the packing, as well as a gent to deal with. The finishing and overall construction seem to be of a very high standard. Obviously I have to get used to this guitar, and plan to play and enjoy it a lot in the coming weeks. I'm going to use it at a lunchtime gig tomorrow as well, so that should be fun.

:)
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Lovely @megii. That model has been on my 'must get one' list for ages.  Never seen it in natural before.  I've amended my list accordingly ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Lovely @megii. That model has been on my 'must get one' list for ages.  Never seen it in natural before.  I've amended my list accordingly ;)
    Thanks @Andyjr1515 - I never thought I'd want a 335-ish semi-acoustic, but then I suddenly did! I was considering a new Epi Sheraton (which I'm sure would have been nice) but then remembered seeing this one for sale on the forum, and one thing led to another. Really chuffed with this guitar anyhow - the build quality is extremely high, and I love all the blonde flame maple. I'd say quite a chunky neck, which might not be everyone's cup of tea - fortunately I quite like this kind of neck profile.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5069
    Sheesh, that is a corker - happy NGD!
    Nitefly said:
    Sheesh, that is a corker - happy NGD!
    Thanks @Nitefly - the more I play it, the more I'm liking it, definitely this is a good one! I'm just going to indulgently post a few more pics... :D 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Branshen said:
    That's a work of art. 
    Thanks very much @Branshen ! It is a beauty - who says the Chinese don't know how to make great guitars?! The more I play it, the more I'm loving it. I find the big-bodied design is a bit cumbersome sitting with the guitar supported on the right leg (although manageable) but raised up a bit with a guitar strap, it really makes sense - nice support under the right elbow, and the neck just sits in a nice place. Haven't had chance to change the strings, but I'm taking it to my lunchtime gig anyhow (not sure what gauge is on there, 10-46 I'm guessing). :)
    The new guitar (and me) did a gig playing jazz today - in the end I had not had chance to fit new strings or anything, and just used it as it came, with what I'm guessing is a set of 10-46. Still feels unfamiliar, and I made a couple of bloops as a result of that, but I just love playing this thing - it's a definite match. Compliments on the sound (as well as the looks) from some musician friends - I would say this is quite a strident, lively-sounding guitar, but with plenty of acoustic woodyness in the tone, and it responds nicely to changes in attack and touch. What I hoped for really. The lady singer mischievously called it "banana coloured", knowing I would have preferred "blonde". :D 

• That is absolutely stunning, enjoy it☺️
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That is absolutely stunning, enjoy it☺️
    Thanks @NorthernPaul - I'm loving this guitar to be honest, it's a definite match and I'm already certain it's a keeper.

Thank you for that last wow whoever it was! I was hoping this thread might push me into the 700s, but stuck on 699 frets for a while there - it's like an itch you can't scratch. :D 
    Took some pics of the pickup cavities of this guitar when I had it unstrung - just out of interest. Wondering if anyone can identify the woods used for the centre block and the shaped fillet above that, which contacts the curved laminate top. I had thought it might be maple, from things I'd read, but I'm not sure maple looks like that. Could it be something else - spruce maybe?