Boss DD20 Giga Delay alternative

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I am after a DD20 (I think) - I want a delay pedal that can store presets, does dotted 8th and if possible has a loop function (although that's not essential). I've seen used DD20's on ebay for around £100 which is about what I have to spend. Any suggestions of an alternative?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Not sure about alternatives, but the DD-20 is a great pedal.  It has dry through signal, too (I think).  Which means it won't ruin your guitar tone when you switch it on :)
  • It depends how you use it or what you want a delay for.  I am torn with the DD-20.  In the studio the DD-20 it's cold and uninspiring, however gig-wise it is a great, great tool.  As roadworthy as anything Boss build, has pre-sets, light up display and it as easy to use 'on the fly' as you like.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • If you only need 2 presets you could always go with two regular delay pedals.
  • The main use for a pedal is live which is why I'm drawn so much to the DD20 - heard so many good things. Maybe I'm talking myself into it...
  • I had one on my board for several years, it's a great live pedal. Never missed a beat, and the presets are very handy.
  • Btw, remember you need 200mA to run it.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4067
    edited January 2014
    I haven't found an alternative to the DD-20.  Every time I try a different echo pedal (cos we all likes a change) I end up putting the DD-20 back on fairly quickly. 

Of the six or seven other pedals I've had on and off the board I'd say the DD-7 (its biggest plus being its small footprint) would be the only other one I'd consider for live.   I think an external foot switch for tap tempo is mandatory though (for both of those) -- it makes life much easier. 

I agree with what's been said about the DD-20:  it is a great live pedal.  (The display, the on the fly adjustment, and my fave is the way I can set the level so that when I kick it in I'll have it boost my volume too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1140
    i had one on my board when they first came out in about 2002:

Good:
    - Presets
    - Digital display of delay time
    - Lots of delay types
    - Solidly built (although i did manage to knacker mine dropping something on it, which is a first for a BOSS pedal, but Roland UK fixed it)

Bad:
    - Needs it's own power supply really, or a big chunk of a decent multi power jobby (my cheap one hated it, it was very noisy)
    - It's massive on your board, more like 3 BOSS pedals than 2, and it's heavy
    - Not the most organic sounding, it does the job but doesn't have the character of a Strymon etc (but it is a lot cheaper)

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1140
    i think the big green Line 6 one does presets, and i've seen that on a lot more pro boards than the BOSS< if that means anything...

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2952
    Grunfeld said:
    my fave is the way I can set the level so that when I kick it in I'll have it boost my volume too.

I had no idea it could do this, interesting...
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    TC Electronics Nova delay fits the bill apart from the looper. If you're looking for something cheap the Nux Time Force has various models, stores presets and has a 40 second looper in a metal case all for around £40
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    +1 for the TC Nova. I've got the IB modified version and love it. I did used to have a DD-20 but with the seperate footswitch for tap tempo it was just too big (never liked the press and hold function to use tap tempo from it's own footswitches)
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Vox delaylab does everything you ask.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    Reliability wise I'd take the Boss any day.  I had 2 Nova Delays go wrong on me - and they are full of alien technology you can't fix.

I have a Strymon Timeline now.  Well worth saving up for - or do what I did and sell some overdrives to fund it.  Most of us on here probably have enough drive pedals for 3 pedal boards.
  • Personally I think it sounds great.  I sold my chorus pedal after getting a DD20 because I liked the modulation mode enough and always use delay with chorus so didn't see a point in keeping both.  They are big but that is only a problem if you don't have the space.  I run mine from a Voodoo Labs PP2+.

I like the TC Flashback but feel they really missed a trick by not having a display on the x4 (which is out of the budget set here).  A Flashback x4 with LED is probably the only thing that could tempt me away from the Boss.  For recording I've always used plugins for delay anyway, I pretty much always want my delay post distortion so it makes most sense for me to do it that way.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4067
    edited January 2014
    Bidley said:
    Grunfeld said:
    my fave is the way I can set the level so that when I kick it in I'll have it boost my volume too.

I had no idea it could do this, interesting...
    I don't know if this makes a difference what amp you use but I have the Boss in the FX loop of a Marshall JVM with the loop volume at the 50:50  position.  The amount of boost is determined by the level knob on the DD-20.  So I'll kick the FX loop in on a solo which will bring in an echo-boost.  For songs where I don't want that boost I just drop the volume on the DD-20.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What is the Nux delay like?