Can Needing a Refret Give you Sore Fingers?

What's Hot
peteripeteri Frets: 1286
Hi

My strat has very low (worn) frets, no real divots at all but very low.

Love playing it, but when I play - afterwards my finger joints are sore.

Could this be caused by needing a refret?

Pete
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes - bending is much tougher with low frets. Lighter strings might help but higher frets are probably the answer.
  • Never seems to worry Yngwie Malmsteen.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Never seems to worry Yngwie Malmsteen.
    Who had a scalloped board, which means the frets could be any height?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    I'd be more inclined to check your posture and hand position when you play, lower frets mean that you can get away with fretting far too aggressively for your own good, if you used that pressure on high or normal frets, I'd bet that you would be fretting sharp a lot of the time 
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1286
    Thanks for the comments - I'll try and play more gently, but it is funny it's only this guitar - so think an expensive refret may be in line!

Cheers

Pete 
    If it's a Mexican Strat, is he fretwire is softer than that used in the US models, it gets to the point where it's cheaper to buy a new heck and sell the old one as a project 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2531
    Never seems to worry Yngwie Malmsteen.

@richardhomer You disgust me, Sir, talking about Yngwie as though he were a thing of the past! The maestro is every bit as relevant and active today as he was in 1983, having just released his 19th opus, World On Fire this past summer. And he still plays scalloped boards. \m/

TL;DR: You have unleashed this fanboi's fury!

;)

• DLM said:
    Never seems to worry Yngwie Malmsteen.

@richardhomer You disgust me, Sir, talking about Yngwie as though he were a thing of the past! The maestro is every bit as relevant and active today as he was in 1983, having just released his 19th opus, World On Fire this past summer. And he still plays scalloped boards. \m/

TL;DR: You have unleashed this fanboi's fury!

;)

Tense....

:)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2531

Tense....

:)

Of course I'm tense, you've just insulted my idol! ;)

sweepy said:
    If it's a Mexican Strat, is he fretwire is softer than that used in the US models, it gets to the point where it's cheaper to buy a new heck and sell the old one as a project 
    Thanks - no other end of the scale.

66 Strat, with (barely any left) original frets
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well worth a very expensive refret  then :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Bloody hell, maybe get a new neck and put the original to one side? Assuming much of the rest of the guitar is still original. Then you have a playable instrument without lessening the collector's value
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    roberty said:
    Bloody hell, maybe get a new neck and put the original to one side? Assuming much of the rest of the guitar is still original. Then you have a playable instrument without lessening the collector's value
    A really good and really well done refret won't lower the collector's value unless it's mint and has hang tags, original strings etc.. If it's a 'player' then it won't be mint - refret will actually make it a teensy bit more saleable (tho it won't increase the price..)
  • peteri said:
    66 Strat, with (barely any left) original frets
    I used to own a '71 Tele with really low original frets. In spite of being strung with 9s, it was really hard to bend on.

I moved the guitar on for a variety of reasons - but had I kept it, I would have definitely had it refretted.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Yes, very low frets will give you sore joints.  Happened to me after I bought my 82 Strat - always wanted one and when it came up for sale I just had to have it even though I bought it blind from a reputable shop.

When it arrived there was barely any fret material left, they were painted on - even set up with 9s it was seriously hard to play and bending strings was next to impossible as you couldn't put enough pressure on the string to stop it slipping from under your finger.

To compound the issue the fingerboard was a thin walnut veneer glued to a radiused neck so by the time the old frets had been removed and the board prepped for a refret it would have been necessary to cut the fret slots into the shaft wood!

I was a bit heartbroken really but since it was my lifelong desire to own a Dan Smith era Strat I persevered with it and found an amazing luthier in Dublin who not only refretted it for me but he milled off the old fingerboard and CNC'd a new rosewood board.  The result is amazing and the fret job is the best I've ever seen on any guitar.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The very first thing I did after buying my original 1966 strat was take it for a refret. It was unplayable and the guitar that came back to me was superb. It won't devalue it and it will be much more exciting to play. My recommendation for refret work is Dave King in Newbury. I've also heard great things about feline in Croydon. Do it!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    edited December 2016 tFB Trader
    We will happily do it, and we are fully aware of the various hoops you have to jump through with 
    1) any Fender neck made before 1983 where the frets have to come out sideways and not be pulled up
    2) CBS era necks with the veneer fingerboard if it's a rosewood one

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

All. Thanks for the great replies - you've confirmed my suspicion 

feline - I'll be in touch!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    My strat is a fretless wonder. I bend easily on it and it's the most comfor table guitar I own. Other guitars make my finger tips sore after a 4 hour session because I don't play enough but the fret less wonder is like a part of me. I bought it used about 35 years ago. Is the fingerboard too dry on your guitar?
    If not thought of that! Will give it an oil before the refret and try!

thanks