Les Paul Nut Material...What's best?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    I'm long passed any sense of humor these days 

And I'm not preaching, that's what I use, you lot can use what you like
    Way to endear yourself to your fellow posters... 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14266
    edited December 2016

Well we're a sarcastic and jokey bunch here, there is plenty of laffs and ribbing and I find it refreshing and very British compared to the dour humorless (see what I did there) drudge on TGP

here are some quotes of wisdom:

"May laughter fill your home, relieve your stress, and strengthen your friendships. Do not let a day go buy without laughing; it is good for your health."

"One way to keep from becoming bitter or broken is to look at the lighter side of situations. Laughter is a powerful reliever of stress, and can be a great healer."

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358

Well we're a sarcastic and jokey bunch here, there is plenty of laffs and ribbing and I find it refreshing and very British compared to the dour humorless (see what I did there) drudge on TGP

here are some quotes of wisdom:

"May laughter fill your home, relieve your stress, and strengthen your friendships. Do not let a day go buy without laughing; it is good for your health."

"One way to keep from becoming bitter or broken is to look at the lighter side of situations. Laughter is a powerful reliever of stress, and can be a great healer."

Or a nice soothing cup of camomile tea.
    Failing that, an armful of heroin.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    WezV said:

i do bone most of the time, but also use tusq, corian etc... I used to talk about the test I did where you drop it on a hard surface.  Plink sounds are good plonk sounds are not.  Then some guy called Paul Reed Smith stole it and rebadged it a rule of tone or something daft.  Anyway, nylon ain't for me

I've used corian but I think it wears fast and I've had strings bind
    Have you found this wez

I use bone when I can be bothered but I'm a cheapskate and just cut the nylon stuff up 

I can't say I've heard much difference between bone and nylon really

I'm not paying for tusq either 

I have not had those issues with corian. Its so easy to get a good supply for no money, a sink cut-out can give a lifetimes supply. It is soft, but Graphtech and earvana nuts are also relatively soft, if they are well cut they still do a good job.

I had loads of unbleached bone  blanks given to me years ago, still have enough for 20 or 30 nuts.

My real point was that many materials will work very well, but whichever material you use it needs to have some basic qualities which I test with the drop test.

If I suddenly wanted to use nylon, I would only use the stuff that passes my drop test.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32390
    @customkits has had a bit of a rough time lately, even I'm not averse to cutting him some slack when he misses the odd bit of irony.

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    Sorry no laughing this end, I actually think fuck the world but that's another story 

Let me know when you're joking won't you
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    You should change your laughing avatar to this so we know what we're dealing with:
    Image result for grumpy face emoji
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been trying to slowly replace nuts (saddles for acoustics) on my guitars as they wear out to unbleached bone.  I've found a lot of bleached bone nuts/saddles can be a bit on the crumbly side of things.  I've found unbleached bone nuts don't really require any lubrication.  They have a manky yellow colour which isn't for everyone, but I don't mind though. 

FWIW, I believe the most important thing about a guitar nut isn't the material but how well it has been cut.  Something which really p*sses me off are guitars where the nut slots haven't been properly cut.
    tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:
    You should change your laughing avatar to this so we know what we're dealing with:
    I'm sorry, I probably don't come across that well and i hope no one has to go through what happened to my wife and i
    It's life changing and will stay with us for life unfortunately, hopefully it'll get easier

That image comes close to how I feel, ill see if I can change my avatar

I am rubbish on computers though
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    tFB Trader

Whatever it is you're going through @customkits, best of luck to you both.

For nuts I use bone mostly, I like the colouration with age and it can be aged fairly easily to suit an older guitar.

• Sassafras said:
    I'm sorry, I probably don't come across that well and i hope no one has to go through what happened to my wife and i
    It's life changing and will stay with us for life unfortunately, hopefully it'll get easier

That image comes close to how I feel, ill see if I can change my avatar

I am rubbish on computers though

It's ok fella, you're not the only one to buy a Gibson 2015 model
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    tFB Trader
    If only not even a shit gibson comes close 

It's all gone nuts 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)