Les Paul Specials?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    edited December 2016 tFB Trader
    Hi folks

Les Paul Specials - any thoughts on them in general? I've always liked the look of them and like a neck pickup too much to go for a Junior. Would have to be p90s of course. 

Also who makes a Special at the cheaper end of the market? Are the Epi ones any good? 

They are cheaper cos theres no maple top or binding...  silkscreen logo, dot inlays,  and usually with a thinner finish too...   All makes them cheaper....

I have a double cut special...  Its from 2005 (faded cherry)..  It REALLY does have the best neck profile ever and the P90s ROAR....  They have changed the design of the more modern ones (from like 2014ish) now you see the neck is set in the body a bit more... I like the older way better, great upper fret access.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    The CS reissues are good, don't get me wrong. But for that special something.. that indescribable feeling.. The CS Specials I've tried felt a bit too clinical to be honest. 
    I had a CS Special. It was a thing of beauty but the neck profile was horrible and it sounded awful. I sold it to a local well known guitar dealer who sold it with a considerable markup to a customer of mine. The new owner felt the same as I did about it and I don't think he kept it long.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    edited December 2016 tFB Trader
    I'm making a s/c special In limba now, I really want a tv yellow one 

Any opinions on a wraptail vs tom bridge 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    edited December 2016

Personally I don't think it's a real special unless it's got a wrap tail.. 

The mojoaxe does a good enough job of keeping intonation where it needs to be and you don't get any of the sitar overtones, but you get everything that's good with a wrap tail 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gotta be a wrap - not the same otherwise
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

The mojoaxe does a good enough job of keeping intonation where it needs to be and you don't get any of the sitar overtones, but you get everything that's good with a wrap tail 
    I like the mojoaxe too, they look really nice 

I used a rockinger on my last one which is good and sounds great but doesn't look as nice

I'm looking at some from crazy parts, it's not a replica and mojoaxe gets expensive

I don't think the straight ones like a lightning bar will look right
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • I'm making a s/c special In limba now, I really want a tv yellow one 

You know I am a fan of a TOM's!  

I have a Schaller STM and I like to increase the string spacing to around 55mm or so.  Make a huge difference for playing finger style and slide, so TOM is my vote. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584

I like the mojoaxe too, they look really nice 

I used a rockinger on my last one which is good and sounds great but doesn't look as nice

I'm looking at some from crazy parts, it's not a replica and mojoaxe gets expensive

I don't think the straight ones like a lightning bar will look right
    Lightning bars will definitely not look right IMHO. I've currently got a Faber on my '62 which was sent over by @streethawk for me to try out. It's unusual as it has brass saddles on it - but it does sound really rather good and I'd definitely recommend it as an alternative:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the suggestion
    It does look unusual so does the rockinger when looking up close 

I'll look it up
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    The CS reissues are good, don't get me wrong. But for that special something.. that indescribable feeling.. The CS Specials I've tried felt a bit too clinical to be honest. 
    I had a CS Special. It was a thing of beauty but the neck profile was horrible and it sounded awful. I sold it to a local well known guitar dealer who sold it with a considerable markup to a customer of mine. The new owner felt the same as I did about it and I don't think he kept it long.
    I can't for the live of me think who that dealer might have been... ;-)

I was a dyed in the wool Junior freak until I got my first TV Special...I was blown away by the neck P90 and subsequently so with my '56 Special too. 

They both have their place, so if I'm doing a gig that requires some subtlety, I'd take a Special, if im doing an out and out Rock gig, I'll take a Junior.

And as @wellsyboy rightly says, it's got to be a wraptail, that's part of the sound.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    I can't for the live of me think who that dealer might have been... ;-)
    To be fair, he paid me what I asked for it, which is what I'd paid, so I was very happy with my end of the deal.