Suhr Modern Satin Jumbo frets

What's Hot
Hi Has anyone owned either the modern satin or modern T satin or I guess any suhr guitar with Jumbo frets?

I was wondering how you found the fret ends of the guitars. I played one today and really liked it but found the fret ends to be a little sharp which surprised me. I'm not sure if its how i play (thumb over, moving around the fretboard) but i found the fret ends to get in the way a little.

The frets are quite tall so i'm thinking if anyone has had the same experience? Maybe played other suhrs that play smoother with different frets? I know The heavy frets are not as tall at the 6105 or there medium frets. They might be the ticket. 

I like the jumbos for there ease of bending!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have quite a few Suhrs and most of them have jumbo frets. No problem with any of them so it sounds like you found a rare example.
  • So when your hand up down the neck like your gripping the neck with thumb over you can't feel the frets?
  • Correct. All fret ends are smooth if I'm understanding correctly
  • Damn do I played a bad or faulty suhr? Is that possible? Plek frets? 

Have you compare jumbo with heavy frets? 
  • How old was the guitar you played?
  • Brand new 2016 limited edition suhr modern t in satin. Mahogany 

• What do you think?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Damn do I played a bad or faulty suhr? Is that possible? Plek frets? 

Simply sounds like the neck shrunk a little 
    Unlike Suhr to do poor fretting but they don't have any real control over the occaisional neck shrinking a wee bit and the frets protruding a bit .
    Also a Plek profile fret dressing at the factory is only good up till the point it leaves the factory.
    Wood moves and shrinks and in a relatively short time a neck that is prone to this could need attention.
    Truth be told though, once it has ben out there a while it will calm down  and stabilise
    So it just needs a luthiers/techs attention 

If it was in a shop - maybe bring it to their attention so they can rectify it before it goes out in the world

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Damn do I played a bad or faulty suhr? Is that possible? Plek frets? 

Simply sounds like the neck shrunk a little 
    Unlike Suhr to do poor fretting but they don't have any real control over the occaisional neck shrinking a wee bit and the frets protruding a bit .
    Also a Plek profile fret dressing at the factory is only good up till the point it leaves the factory.
    Wood moves and shrinks and in a relatively short time a neck that is prone to this could need attention.
    Truth be told though, once it has ben out there a while it will calm down  and stabilise
    So it just needs a luthiers/techs attention 

If it was in a shop - maybe bring it to their attention so they can rectify it before it goes out in the world
    I see! That makes real sense due to climate change. Is that why they offer roasted maple necks to stop this happening? More stable?

if the Mahogony has shrunk how would you correct this? Treat the rosewood with lemon oil or fretdoctor then let the guitar get used to the climate? 
  • One amazing thing about Suhr is that they guarantee their necks for life. @ThomasRoss20 has benefitted from this with excellent levels of customer service
  • Yes, really 1st class service. I was 2nd owner and they replaced the neck for free! I've toyed with selling it but every time I play it I realise how great it is. 
  • Brand new 2016 limited edition suhr modern t in satin. Mahogany 
    Where did you try it ? Was it in a store ? 
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

• Yes it was in store. Guitar guitar. I guess any wood can shrink. It's just how easy it to get back to normal? 
  • Yes it was in store. Guitar guitar. I guess any wood can shrink. It's just how easy it to get back to normal? 
    What level was it hung at ? Whats happened is its probably been on one of the top rows where all the warm air gathers, causing it to dry and contract. A few days at a decent humidity should sort it out. I remember from selling them that you had to be quite careful as the satins seemed really prone to drying out
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

• The guitar was high up! So that explains it then. I loved the guitar apart from that. So versitille. Any recommendations on a humidifier?
  • Would you be happy buying something like this then correcting the problem yourself?
  • The guitar was high up! So that explains it then. I loved the guitar apart from that. So versitille. Any recommendations on a humidifier?
    I think Iain was suggesting a couple of days somewhere around 50% humidity, e.g. your house, would sort it.

Just like Feline said, I wouldn't buy it like that...but I would have the shop address it properly...then I'd buy it.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I was playing mine just now and the neck and frets are pretty much perfect. TBH the store shouldn't sell it if there any doubts or it needs fettling. I would ask or look for one which is right, it's definitely worth it.
  • I gig a Suhr Modern Satin... never had a problem with fret ends. As others have said,  it sounds like the neck may have shrunk a bit. Bear in mind that the air is very dry at this time of year.   I'm sitting in my office today and the relative humidity is 39%... whereas it was 60-65% for a lot of last summer. Could be even drier than 39% in a shop - especially if the guitar is hung high, where the air is hotter.

Winter air can be very dry (so necks can shrink... resulting in neck sprout)... and, if it snows, the air tends to get even drier. If you want  to measure this stuff, a £5 digital hygrometer from Amazon will give you an instant reading of humidity... but don't hold it in your hand - as the moisture in your hand will make it read high.

Guitar shops don't always get it right. I was in a UK shop in the summer... when humidity outside was very high... but, in their air-conditioned acoustic showroom (that had massive windows that bathed everything is strong sunlight).... they had a hygrometer reading 38% - but the hygrometer was right next to a humidifier that was pumping out water vapour (so the rest of the room must have been even drier). No surprise that they had a brand new and every expensive acoustic guitar that had two rather large cracks in the top.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Would you be happy buying something like this then correcting the problem yourself?
    Nah get them to sort it before you hand over your money Even if its arranging to come back the next week after they have taken it down and put it somewhere with better humidity. I wouldn't ask them to do anything to the frets, just see what its like when you go back.