Options for first acoustic build?

2»

Comments

• MadInter have kits for nylon strings, the ones without pre bent sides are a fair chunk less than the ones with pre bent sides

http://www.madinter.com/wood/kits.html?dir=asc&order=price

I came across a few at Maderas Barber as well, which aren't as high in quality but the prices are decent - pre bent sides albeit laminate
    http://maderasbarber.com/tonewood/en/acoustic-guitar-kits/2759-acoustic-guitar-kit-model-folk.html
    Wow - these sites are amazing - thanks for the links!!! There are many options for buying budget kits or components - and some interesting wood - at very low prices. Just what I was looking for as a first acoustic build. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17494
    It's worth remembering that the cheaper the wood, the more likely it's not fully processed.  If you are good with a hand plane or have a thickness sander that's not an issue.  If not, you do need to consider if it's worth paying a bit more for fully prepped wood.
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited December 2016
    I've built three kits in the last ten years. The best one was a StewMac kit. I built the rosewood dreadnought -

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Bodies_and_Necks_and_Wood/Acoustic_Guitar_Wood/StewMac_Triple-O_Acoustic_Guitar_Kit.html?pref_currency=P

But they also do a 000 -

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Bodies_and_Necks_and_Wood/Acoustic_Guitar_Wood/Dreadnought_and_Triple-O_Guitar_Kits/StewMac_Triple-O_Acoustic_Guitar_Kit.html

They're not nearly as cheap as £200, but they're damn good.

I've also built two of the Martin kits - a dreadnought mahogany and a rosewood jumbo.

https://www.martinguitar.com/1833-shop/rosewood-guitar-kits-d-(dreadnought-herringbone)/c-24/p-211

If you scroll down the page to the bottom, you can see the other sizes and styles available.

They're more expensive, and the woods are better, but you really need to know what you're doing with those. Getting the neck angle right is a fucker, I got it completely wrong on the first one, and while I got it right on the second, I didn't get the join right, so it sounds as if I'm playing it through a sock.

Anyway, the reason I suggest these is that they contain everything you need, with the sides bent and everything the right shape (although you have to shape the neck joint correctly, and you do need a mould when you're gluing the sides down to the neck block and end piece). All you need to do is glue the stuff together, sand them to the right angle and finish them. That may not sound much, but trust me, it's waaaay more than that - it's the very definition of the difference between 'simple' and 'easy'!

Of the ones that I built, I'd recommend the StewMac one with the bolt-on neck, for the simple reason that if you're not happy with the neck angle, you just unbolt it and have another go. You can't do that with a glued-in neck, and if you get it wrong, as I did, you've got 400 quids' worth of firewood on your hands.

I'm very happy with my StewMac kit though.

Oh, and you get a DVD with the StewMac kit, whereas the Martin kit comes with a paper booklet that wouldn't be out of place with an Ikea bookcase. There's also a whole range of advice on the StewMac site.

You could do a lot worse than get yourself a copy of this, it's extremely informative and I found it invaluable.

https://wordery.com/build-your-own-acoustic-guitar-jonathan-kinkead-9780634054631?cTrk=MzQ1NTIxNjN8NTg2NjM1YzBlMzc5MDoxOjE6NTg2NjM1OTc5YTA1MDUuMjE5MjA2NTM6N2I5MjE4ZDc=

If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • @TheOtherDennis Thanks for your comments. My main plan for next year is to build from a Mark Bailey acoustic kit, which  I guess is a bit more complicated than the Stew Mac kits. I was looking for a cheap option so I can have a trial run and make less expensive mistakes as I learn how to build acoustics - but that Stew Mac kit is tempting. How much duty did you pay on top of the basic cost?
  • Oh crikey, now you're asking! It's been four years since I got it, and I can't remember. I think it was about £40-£50, something like that, but I can't be absolutely certain.

I do know that the way Martin sent their kits out I didn't pay duty at all (though that may have changed in the 8 years since I did those), but the StewMac kit definitely got caught in the system.

Either way, it's not a cheap option, I have to admit, but then the result is pretty good, too. If you're going to do the Mark Bailey course, you're probably best waiting, because whilst I've never done one myself, from what I've heard Mark will not let you leave with anything less than perfection. So probably the cheapest option is to get the book and wait with bated breath. :)

But if you have the cash and you can do both, go right ahead.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • @TheOtherDennis I just found www.dutycalculator.com, which says I'll have to pay 2.7% duty plus 20% VAT. As I live in Austria I'm doing the online Bailey course rather than doing the build at his workshop - which is a 13 day course - so doing it on my own excellence is not guaranteed. :s Hmmm - lots to think about.
  • I've decided to invest in a Fox style side bender. Can anyone recommend LMI, Blues Creek or other options? Is there a European supplier? Thanks