Seriously? More EHX woes

What's Hot
cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
After a bit of meandering I got a memory boy for crimbo as I liked all the sounds on the demos I'd heard and it wouldn't break the bank.   Plugged into it tonight and the modulation sounds like a bad 90s synth tracking the notes. What have I done wrong? 

supplied ps used since I un-boxed 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Was it new or used?  The not sure about the Boy, the Memory Toy has trim pots inside that are factory set, but accessible. I had one that someone had fiddled with and the only way to reset it apparently is to put it on a scope.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    edited December 2016
    cj73 said:

What have I done wrong?
    Bought an EH.

:-P

If it's under warranty, return it. This page should show how much fun they are to work on…

http://falseelectronics.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/electro-harmonix-memory-boy-1.html

If you want to look for anything obvious before you send it back, about the only thing you can do is check that the socketed chips are seated tightly, but I doubt that's the problem since if it was one of these I would expect to get no delay at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Delay is fine without modulation... With modulation, not so good 
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I'd take it back to the shop.

Would be good to compare it to another in store aswell just to hear the difference!

• If memory serves me correctly there was a few of them from the first batch that had problems like you describe. It was to do with overheating when running on a PSU. Try with a battery to see if there's any difference
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

^ now that is interesting.  we had everyone round for lunch yesterday so it was a bit frenetic.  I'm sure when i plugged it in for a quick check it was alright  but then when I had more time later I noticed the problem.  It's like the modulation "clock" is changing randomly but with tendency to too fast.

It was new so I'm taking it back but out of interest I'll test it with a battery before I do. 
    Battery made no diff.   Still sounded like a bad factory patch from a mid 90s zoom with a harmoniser 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Is it the one with the expression pedal input, and it remembers the last expression pedal setting it received? 
    edited January 2017
    So, further updates.  

The pedal was a Christmas/Birthday Gift from my parents ( 25th Dec, and no, I'm not the messiah).  I gave it back to them to return and got it back today.  Came home, tried it and the same noises.  Was in the same packaging but the Serial number on the box didn't match the one inside the casing.  Didn't think to check that with first one, Doh!

Dad said the bloke admitted it was the same packaging but it was a new pedal.

Before I go radio rental with the shop can anyone confirm that this isn't how a Memory Boy should sound when the modulation is engaged?  

• I had one and could never make it sound good. Shame really. I have had other ehx pedals that are just fine

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    cj73 said:
    So, further updates.  

The pedal was a Christmas/Birthday Gift from my parents ( 25th Dec, and no, I'm not the messiah).  I gave it back to them to return and got it back today.  Came home, tried it and the same noises.  Was in the same packaging but the Serial number on the box didn't match the one inside the casing.  Didn't think to check that with first one, Doh!

Dad said the bloke admitted it was the same packaging but it was a new pedal.

Before I go radio rental with the shop can anyone confirm that this isn't how a Memory Boy should sound when the modulation is engaged?  

Just a very naughty boy? 

Bit hard to tell but that sounds like modulation maxed out but probably not the sound you want most of the time. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.