Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Linseed oil?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
    I'm reading into this too much arnt I.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    robgilmo said:
    I'm reading into this too much arnt I.

That's our speciality here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755

If you use Linseed oil, you can use any left over for your cricket bat.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11993
    tFB Trader
    jpfamps said:

I've always used raw linseed oil ... love the smell too
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    jpfamps said:

I've always used raw linseed oil ... love the smell too
    i do love oiling up my bat before a right good session. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4126
    I'm a big fan of Fret Doctor. Supposedly more natural and nourishes the wood better than other oils.
  • Linseed oil stinks. It will make your board smell rancid. Lemon oil or fret doctor for me.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Linseed oil stinks. It will make your board smell rancid. Lemon oil or fret doctor for me.
    Ah, you can't beat the smell of chippy fingers ;)

• I use gerlitz fretboard cleaner.

Sorry, that's another option
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I only use fat from my local liposuction clinic.
    That's a trick shown to me by Tyler Durden.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    tFB Trader
    I use linseed for sealing in dye but otherwise lemon oil. It doesn't form a film.
    Not all lemon oils are the same though, different blends out there.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4126
    Granted, he's trying to sell his own product, but here's some interesting info from the Fret Doctor website regarding Linseed oil and lemon oil:

1. Linseed oil is more like a varnish than an oil. Because it forms a continuous film, it seals the surface of the wood like a varnish, but oils of plant origin may later slowly penetrate down to the wood. It can take years. It comes in many forms. The stuff from a hardware or art store is a paint variety, boiled or raw. Both of them stink. If you insist on Linseed oil, get the food grade from a health food store. This grade doesn't smell so bad. After multiple applications, nothing can penetrate it. Bear in mind that, if a board is treated with Linseed oil, it will eventually turn black. Linseed oil oxidizes over time, turning black in the process. That is why so many Rosewood boards of the 50s and 60s no longer look like Rosewood.  If you use Linseed oil, take any rags or brushes that are used and dispose of them outdoors. When left in a pile this stuff can spontaneously burst into flame. You then lose both your ax and your home. Squeeze the bottle and screw the cap on tight, minimizing any air space in the container.

4. Mineral oil merely coats the surface, giving it a bright sheen, but does not penetrate the wood. This oil prevents absorption by a plant oil after the fact. This includes most bore oils, but not all. Read the label. Most so-called fretboard treatments and bore oils are no more than inexpensive mineral oil with a scent added, like lemon.
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    Collings recommend boiled linseed oil for their rosewood fretboards, guess they know what they are talking about.

http://www.collingsguitars.com/care/ ;

"Fingerboards can occasionally dry out, but require only a very small amount of boiled linseed oil (thoroughly buffed) to restore. Less is always best."
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    I danish oil on rosewood, its a "boiled" oil.  I have even used tru-oil

as always, but rarely talked about, it comes down to method as much as type of oil. If I coated a fretboard in a boiled oil and left it to dry, it would form an unpleasant film on the surface.  

A small amount gets rubbed in and buffed straight off to ensure it's only the oil that soaks into the wood than remains. Seems like Collings agree with me.

i also use lemon oil (pure essential oil, not scented mineral oil) as a cleaner, but that is all it does.
  • Cooking oil works, clean cooking oil not used
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    I believe Fret Doctor is nothing more that Bore Oil which is used to protect woodwind instruments.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)