Storing cases

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
edited December 2016 in Guitar
Our new flat has a damp underground storage room. We we warned of this by the land lord when we moved in. I need to keep my guitar cases down there, bit concerned they will go moldy. What's the best way to keep this in check? No electrics so dehumidifier not an option. 

I'm only really keeping them as we will move house again in the next two years, once we find somewhere to buy. Otherwise I'd get rid of all but 2.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sounds like they will go moldy. Can you get really big zip-lock bags? Or failing that, regular poly bags sealed up with a lot of duct tape?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4308
    edited December 2016
    My loft was damp but my cases were fine as I pallet wrapped them all and I had 9 
  • Kept a Tweed fender case in my garage which is dry and pretty well aired - when I went to trade my strat I found it covered in mouldy and it was impossible to remove the staining - my advice would be don't!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Slightest hint of damp and you are screwed as above 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Tightly shrink wrap them individually with a few packets of silica inside each case. Still risky though. Or pay for some self store. Or a mates loft in exchange for beer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • urgh. Have to find space for 7 cases in the flat... not easy.
  • A once owned a vintage Fender Musicmaster with an original tweed case, which had obviously been stored in a damp environment. It stank - nothing I tried removed the smell.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    Don't do it. Simple as
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    edited December 2016
    I have 6 in a tall wardrove standing vertically under hanging clothes. 1 acoustic is under the bed alongside two large shallow clear ikea boxes that have excess clothes.

Keep the guitars you play most often in bags in the closet so you can slide them in and out. 
  • The guitars are on a 7 way stand as I play them all. Only 2 get gigged so I can find space for those cases. If I wasn't planning on another move I'd get rid. 

Going to have to go somewhere in the flat...