The Göldo BackBox Best tremelo stabiliser???

What's Hot
I have a separate tremol-no discussion but sounds like it doesn't work from people on here.

after doing lots of research this looks just the tickets. Consistent reviews. 

Any experience? Means drilling a couple off holes and a little setup.

but after that you just leave it? You can use the trem as normal, unison bends are as normal, feels like a floating trem under the fingers, break a string stays in tune? 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/goeldo_backbox.htm

http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabilizers/BackBox.html

http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabilizers/BackBoxInstallation.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I would say it feels "almost" like a floating trem. you can discern a slight notch in the rest position, so when you are going from raised pitch to lower pitch you may feel it as you go through the rest position. Much better for double-stop / unison bends. Breaking a string will overwhelm it if I remember rightly, so I would not rely on it for that. It's been a while since I had one though.

Also it needs to be straight so make sure the holes are right!! :)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Ok so overall a much better product than the tremel-no?

when you say you feel it from raised to lower. Do you mean if I was to use the bar to add shimmer on a chord I would feel it? As you would be going from lower then past the rest position each time 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    There's no way any of them can work like that - in order to stabilise the bridge in either direction there must be some force to move it away from rest in that direction at least. It just depends on which bit of the feel you're prepared to compromise on.

The old Tremsetter can be set up to work very well too - if you ignore the instructions and work out exactly what it does yourself! - but it still can't give that fluid vibrato either side of rest, at the same time as either stopping double-stops going out of tune or holding the bridge if a string breaks, although it can do both those things.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    I fitted a tremsetter to go with a Wilkinson VS100 to try and stop flutter which it did. The downside was that it changed the feel of the trem too much for my taste so I removed it after 6 months or so
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    normula1 said:
    I fitted a tremsetter to go with a Wilkinson VS100 to try and stop flutter which it did. The downside was that it changed the feel of the trem too much for my taste so I removed it after 6 months or so
    I had mine set very differently from the standard method - I set it so it was on the point of floating in the downward direction so I could do gentle 'Blue Hotel' type chord bends (which is what I use a trem for mostly) without a change of feel, but as stiff as possible in the upward direction so it would hold tune if I broke a string (which it could, just). It worked perfectly and once set never needed adjusting again, but the disadvantages were that it didn't stop doublestop bends detuning (not a problem for me really) and that although I could still do pull-ups, the feel was extremely stiff so a gentle up-and-down vibrato was impossible (again not a problem for me really).

They are also a massive faff to fit and set up the first time, it has to be said.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    Yup, it was the gentle vibrato killing that did it for me.
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    ICBM said:
      the feel was extremely stiff so a gentle up-and-down vibrato was impossible (again not a problem for me really).

They are also a massive faff to fit and set up the first time, it has to be said.

^ these 2 things.

I've tried all the trem stabilising thingys, the are all crap. After a while you just learn to accept the compromises involved with having a trem on a guitar, that or just block the fucking thing.

It's probably telling that although I removed the Tremsetter from my PRS when I sold it, with the intention of fitting it to my Strat copy, I still haven't after more than three years. If I ever want to gig with it - which is the main reason I had it on the PRS, to insure against string breaks - I'm more likely to put a simple block in the back to cover me.

There's a Bigsby on my other guitar anyway, and there's no way of blocking that at all.