Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Famous Southpaws who play guitar right handed

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    I met a guy, bass player for the Sex Gang Children IIRC, who was a southpaw. He could play left-handed, right-handed, left-handed upside down and right-handed upside down, all better than I could play normally!
    IIRC I think Jimi Hendrix was the same.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    gubble said:
    Yeah - me as well, of course ;)
    Me!
    ...and me, but not famous obviously.

& Me too :)
    Loobs said:
    me! 
    Me too.  

i can't think of another instrument, apart some drummers setting up in reverse, where there is a left handed option - both hands are equally important so you just have a slightly different style as you find one aspect of playing a bit easier.  
  • Dave Hill, of Slade, i think is cack-handed but plays the correct way round :-)
  • Another leftie here who plays right handed, mainly because when I got my first guitar, had no idea how to restring it for left handed playing.  Even now, decades later, I play drunken air guitar left handed! 
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

a few notables missing from that list ...

BB King, Ritchie Blackmore, Joe Perry

.. oh ... and me :-)

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    I've always thought that the right handed way is really the left handed way as it just doesn't make sense to me as a cack handed to play the left handed way..

ugh. I'm just weird 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    Left handed guitars look wrong. You won't find a left handed violin or cello or piano for example. Obviously you can reverse the strings on a violin or cello but I can't recall ever seeing one being played that way. It is possible of course but easier to learn it the normal (right) way first time :)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Stick me on the list too. At the very top. Some kind of throne would be nice. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Stick me on the list too. At the very top. Some kind of throne would be nice. 
    Porcelain?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    Stick me on the list too. At the very top. Some kind of throne would be nice. 
    Porcelain?
    Here you go:

Image result for toilet throne
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    ESchap said:

a few notables missing from that list ...

BB King, Ritchie Blackmore, Joe Perry

.. oh ... and me :-)

I'll add those to my list as was not aware of either

Interesting list as many players on there are seriously talented players and not just singer/songwriter strummers
  • And Duane Allman apparently. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Manny Pacquiao
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Me too. Our brains are said to work better.
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    Also Ernie Isley who I think is right handed but taught himself to play left handed as well so can play the same stuff on a left or right handed guitar which always seems amazing.
    Ah, but could he play both at the same time?
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/John_Otway.jpg

• Me as well 
    but means little with my arthritis lol
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25105
    mart said:
    Also Ernie Isley who I think is right handed but taught himself to play left handed as well so can play the same stuff on a left or right handed guitar which always seems amazing.
    Ah, but could he play both at the same time?
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/John_Otway.jpg

Ah, good old Michael Angelo Batio.  Looks a bit different now, but let's face it he wasn't fooling anyone with those wigs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not famous, but a leftie chap in our local music shop plays right-handed strung guitars in the left-handed manner, years of practice in the shop! I have tried playing a LH guitar in my normal manner and although I know where the notes are, my fingers just won't listen to me! Very strange experience.

Pity the poor classical musicians who have no choice...
    Gruff Rhys (Super Furry Animals) is another that plays right strung guitar in the left hand manner. 
  • FezFez Frets: 577
    Well I was left handed or thought to be but my Dad was left handed and had teachers tie his left hand behind his back to try and force him to write right handed. So no way was he going let anybody do that to me. However perhaps I should have been persuaded to try writing right handed. I never thought of playing a guitar left handed. At the age of thirty I was trying to write on PCB's with a fibre tipped pen (designed for the purpose) and got frustrated as it wouldn't write so I tried using the pen in my right hand as my mate had no problem with the pen and it worked. I stuck with it and I can now write illegibly with both hands.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Never understood why left handed guitars are even a thing. It's not like either hand is prepared for guitar when you first pick one up and it seems to have little significance in the long term
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom