AMT? OMG More Like

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
    edited January 2014
    Just rewatched the P2 demo.  It just sounds stonking.  

I was thinking of a HT-Metal, but now I'm thinking a P2.  Problem is, that's only 2 channels.

@Digitalscream, does it take overdrive pedals well in preamp mode?  For example, if I had my route 66 in front, I'd have a clean, a light drive from AMT clean+OD, heavy crunch from the AMT and a boosted sound from AMT+OD.  

Thing is, it'd be a real shame to lose the peavey clean channel.  It is really, really nice.  So maybe use an AMT as a pedal for heavy crunch, set the bandit dirty channel up for thick, saturated lead and use bandit clean for... Well, clean.  

I can't help thinking about the amptweaker tight metal and tight metal pro, for the noise gate facility... EDITED FOR BETTER DEMO 

More expensive though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    @digitalscream said:   I've no idea why the Bogner didn't sound good - I put it down to some form of witchcraft in the AMT pedals Mr Bogner doesn't know about...

...The problem I had is that the LS-2 doesn't like line level signals at any point, so it goes nasty and clippy. You could use a passive loop switch if you wanted, though.
    I would assume that the Bogner design makes allowances for the contouring and gain structure of a preamp channel straight after it.  Though I'm still not sure that fully makes sense to me.

As to the LS2, now that is a tricky little beast.

Have you had a chance to compare how accurate the "feel" of the AMTs are to their namesakes?
    Oh and while I am asking, how good are the Burgs YouTube vids in matching how the pedals sound in the real world?

I recon you should do a commission deal with AMT, you are introducing a lot of people to them, me included.

One worrying sign of AMTs alleged witchcraft is that it turns your skin grey when you use the C2  (see YT vid)
    ;)

• @Chrismusic I find Burg's demos to be a very, very good representation of sound.  He also demos all modes, which is nice - you can hear the emulated out is a bit different, but still sounds pretty good to my ears.  Certainly good enough to gig without an amp!
  • @Chrismusic I find Burg's demos to be a very, very good representation of sound.  He also demos all modes, which is nice - you can hear the emulated out is a bit different, but still sounds pretty good to my ears.  Certainly good enough to gig without an amp!
    Honestly, that's the main reason I haven't done any demos of them - he covers everything so well that it'd be pointless me running over the same ground. The only thing he doesn't do is show how the preamp output works with cab impulses, which - to me - is the real goldmine with these pedals.

@ChrisMusic - I've never really played through the amps these pedals emulate (certainly not back-to-back with the pedals), so I can't really comment personally. However, lots of people have tried the P2 back-to-back with the Peavey 5150 and said it's basically no different. Also, I can say that the C2 and P2 behave and feel exactly as I'd expect an amp to, with the exception of a minor loss of treble on the C2 when going clean with the guitar's volume control.

In my opinion, they're far more natural-feeling (and better-sounding) than any modeller I've ever tried, including the Pod HD, Eleven Rack and AxeFX.
    <space for hire>
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i was actually thinking of putting one of these at the end of my pedal chain and go to the front of the amp...its not really designed for that though is it? I guess the tone will then be blended with the amp you have...so you dont get the pure pedal sound...
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27081
    edited January 2014
    samzadgan said:
    i was actually thinking of putting one of these at the end of my pedal chain and go to the front of the amp...its not really designed for that though is it? I guess the tone will then be blended with the amp you have...so you dont get the pure pedal sound...
    You can use it as purely a distortion pedal - like you would in front of a clean or slightly crunchy amp. Just use the drive output, works just as well.

The thing is, you can also send the cab sim output to the PA if you want (either at the same time or instead of the output to your amp). Makes a handy backup plan :)
    <space for hire>
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Thanks for that to both digital scream and ThePrettyDamned.
    There are so many variables in making a good YT demo, and getting the sound representational, let alone with what YT do to it and then on through your own playback system, that it's great to know who the "good guys" out there in YT land are.

That is very positive feedback on the quality of these pedals.
    :)

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17872
    tFB Trader
    Did Drew try some AMTs into his EVH?
  • No dramas.  @digitalscream, so cool you can run both outputs at once! 

Just looked into the tightmetal pro.  I fear I might need to save up a lot of cash.  You can run it direct to poweramp, set pre-and-post boost, a 'boost only' loop (delay pedal?) and that covers your heavy rhythm and lead sounds.  Then, it has a side loop - this goes into your front-of-amp effects, into the clean channel of the amp.  The effects send then goes back into the pedal.  When the pedal is bypassed, this loop is engaged, meaning it routes into the front of the amp via all your normal effects.

Thing is, it costs about 3 times as much as my amp is worth.  But it sounds like a bloomin' AWESOME pedal.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27081
    edited January 2014
    Did Drew try some AMTs into his EVH?
    He only tried one - the AMT F1, which is a slightly different proposition. It's designed specifically to add a Fender Twin clean channel (like the clean channel on the C2/P2/etc, but with a full EQ section) to an amp - it has a "channel loop", into which you put your amp's preamp (AMT send -> amp input, amp effects send -> AMT return), so that hitting the switch on the pedal toggles between the pedal and your amp's preamp. It also has a post-preamp effects loop before the main output.

It's really a rather clever bit of kit. In fact, I think it's what I need to go with my amp...it all depends on whether it can deal with the crazy signal coming from the amp's loop send (although I might be able to put an active volume cut between the amp's send and the pedal's return).

The only reason he didn't like it was that there's a tiny amount of bleed coming from the amp's preamp when you're on the pedal's clean channel...and I mean really tiny. He's a picky bastard, sometimes ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscream said:He only tried one - the AMT F1, which is a slightly different proposition. It's designed specifically to add a Fender Twin clean channel (like the clean channel on the C2/P2/etc, but with a full EQ section) to an amp - it has a "channel loop", into which you put your amp's preamp (AMT send -> amp input, amp effects send -> AMT return), so that hitting the switch on the pedal toggles between the pedal and your amp's preamp. It also has a post-preamp effects loop before the main output.

That's an ingenious way of using the channel loop. I thought the main intended usage was that you'd put one of the AMT high gain pedals in the F1 (or V1) channel loop.
  • digitalscream said:He only tried one - the AMT F1, which is a slightly different proposition. It's designed specifically to add a Fender Twin clean channel (like the clean channel on the C2/P2/etc, but with a full EQ section) to an amp - it has a "channel loop", into which you put your amp's preamp (AMT send -> amp input, amp effects send -> AMT return), so that hitting the switch on the pedal toggles between the pedal and your amp's preamp. It also has a post-preamp effects loop before the main output.

That's an ingenious way of using the channel loop. I thought the main intended usage was that you'd put one of the AMT high gain pedals in the F1 (or V1) channel loop.
    Really? I thought it was the obvious way to use it...that's what I told Drew, anyway :D
    <space for hire>
  • Oh, sorry @ThePrettyDamned - yes, the clean channel on these does boost rather nicely. I've used a Carl Martin Hydra clean/flat boost in front of the clean channel and it crunches quite convincingly.

Putting it in front of the C2 resulted in a bloody lovely, creamy lead tone without the hairy top-end you'd expect. In front of the P2, it just made the silliness of the gain levels even more so ;)
    <space for hire>
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    Interested in how these compared to the Bogner Red when going straight into the amp front end?

These look a lot if fun, though I'm loving my Red at the mo, it's made all my overdrive pedals sound like pedals all of a sudden so I've got other issues now!
  • dindude said:
    Interested in how these compared to the Bogner Red when going straight into the amp front end?

These look a lot if fun, though I'm loving my Red at the mo, it's made all my overdrive pedals sound like pedals all of a sudden so I've got other issues now!
    There really wasn't any difference in quality - I only had the C2 at the time, but both sounded convincing enough that you'd think the distortion was coming from the amp. Obviously, they were very different flavours of distortion, but that's about as much as I remember.
    <space for hire>
  • Those manooka-uk guys have put a brand new M1 up for auction on ebay if anybody's interested in one. 99p start.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    @Digitalscream once loaned me a TC Flashback pedal, agggeeessss ago.... so yes, a very generous person!!!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    And yes, I had the F-1. Was quite lovely. It was the bleed signal, the difficulty of dialing in the gain stages, and a slight bit of extra noise, that made me ship it back. But in a pinch??? Absolutely fine!! Haven't tried their other products.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 468
    Drew_fx said:
    And yes, I had the F-1. Was quite lovely. It was the bleed signal, the difficulty of dialing in the gain stages, and a slight bit of extra noise, that made me ship it back. But in a pinch??? Absolutely fine!! Haven't tried their other products.
    hmmm, i was thinking about getting one of those with the idea of using it as a clean 'amp'
    what do you mean about the bleed signal? and it was noise with the gain up or in general?
  • Fazer said:
    Drew_fx said:
    hmmm, i was thinking about getting one of those with the idea of using it as a clean 'amp'
    what do you mean about the bleed signal? and it was noise with the gain up or in general?
    If you've got a hot signal coming from the amp's loop send (eg a line level signal, but a very hot instrument level signal would do it too), you get a bit of the amp's preamp signal bleeding into the sound even when the pedal is on its clean channel. I suspect this is because of the use of optoisolators rather than relays for switching...of course, there wouldn't be enough room in one of these things for relays anyway.
    <space for hire>