How valuable is "too valuable to gig"

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031

There was one gig (penicuik) where a fight almost broke out and I feared for my violet PRS but I've got insurance. Stuff it, they're meant to be played.
    Penicuik is always a Telecaster gig. If only because they're more likely to flatten someone than a PRS...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1287
    Yes, I'm with most of you on this but mainly because my most valuable guitar is probably only worth just over £1k. I bought them to gig them and all of them show the scars now, I've no problem with that.

I was thinking more about risk of damage rather than theft. 

Pedal boards tho? Beer and electronics don't get on well and if I think what my pedalboard would cost to replace!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 770
    Penicuik. Home of the 3 hour set and noise limiters.....

I still gigged the old ES there :)

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• I only have two guitars and they're both vintage but I have no problem gigging either of them. I do 50-60 gigs a year and no-one has ever asked about them or if they're vintage. I'm definitely more careful than I used to be, I once left my '63 strat by the side of the stage in a London club I was gigging in and went for a curry. Guitar was still there but I shudder when I think about it now. Although I knew nothing about vintage guitars or their value at the time. I used to have a nice PRS that was worth much less than my vintage ones but it always lived in its case at gigs because I was worried about scratching it. 
  • ICBM said:

There was one gig (penicuik) where a fight almost broke out and I feared for my violet PRS but I've got insurance. Stuff it, they're meant to be played.
    Penicuik is always a Telecaster gig. If only because they're more likely to flatten someone than a PRS...
    Hahaha :D
    There's nothing better than a played in PRS 

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Happy to gig anything. As said by others, it's the downtime before and after that's the problem, irrespective of value - wankers will walk off with anything.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3611
    Small space pubs make me nervous of my Gibson because it still  has the headstock. But otherwise it gets gigged along with all my other guitars. Back line and  PA values far exceed the cost of guitars.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2853
    Small ski lock and cable between the body and strings would provide sufficient short term security to any guitar .  

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5107
    ICBM said:
    So I can understand the guys not wanting to regularly gig 'pristine' guitars, where that one ding is going to haunt you every time you pick it up forever after, but what about relic guitars? Or aged?
    for example a Tom Murphy LP or a Custom Shop Fender? 
    This is actually one of the main justifications for relic'ed guitars - it takes away that worry because you lose no value for a minor ding.
           ^^^^  This. I'm much more relaxed about gigging a Relic than a pristine 'as new' guitar.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27701
    I don't worry too much about my gear from a financial pov. Everything is insured and I have no issue with repaired headstocks. 

That said I completely agree with the sentimental aspect. I didn't take my 336 to rough pubs around SE London, and bought a cheap broke-necked SG to serve that purpose. The downside of that is it turned out to be such a fantastic guitar that it now also has sentimental value. At least I don't have to worry too much if that ever gets broken :)

Also +1 for relics. My Paisley has a couple of tiny dings that make me very sad. I dented my MJT JM before I'd even finished putting it together and didn't worry at all :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    Is your Rolex too valuable to wear on a trip to the supermarket? Real rarities like a 59 Gibson Les Paul aside, no guitar is too valuable to gig. Just keep an eye on it in case someone does a runner with it :)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    Rocker said:
    Is your Rolex too valuable to wear on a trip to the supermarket? 
    Some will, some won't.  My wife has a Cartier, worn when we go out for dinner, special occasions etc - but she doesn't wear it everyday eg to the supermarket.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929

Not so bothered about stuff getting bashed, it's the theft issue that gets me. I am also the one who keeps an eye on the gear all the time. After soundcheck, if e go for something to eat, I take my No1 and my board. Everyone else thinks I'm over precautious, but it gives me piece of mind. It's the before and after that is the hardest.

Can't ask anyone else in the band to do their share of the watching either, as they don't give a stuff. It is tough, but I want to play my favs out.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    Rocker said:
    Is your Rolex too valuable to wear on a trip to the supermarket? Real rarities like a 59 Gibson Les Paul aside, no guitar is too valuable to gig. Just keep an eye on it in case someone does a runner with it :)
    Having had a 1968 Telecaster stolen off the stage after a gig, I'd disagree with that statement. It really depends on if you can afford to replace it if the guitar is stolen or destroyed...

I couldn't afford to replace the guitar (I got it incredibly cheap at a time when I had very low income), and insurance didn't cover it (musical instrument insurance is NOT worth the paper its written on - I've tried to claim for two guitars, both stolen and on both occasions they weaseled out of it) - therefore I lost *massively*. It took 10 years before I was able to afford a suitable replacement...

Having had a pedalboard stolen MID GIG (!) this concept that the crowd doesn't know the worth of the gear is bollocks. On that occasion the singer's quick thinking and well aimed heavy bottomed mic stand resolved that issue, and the 'talking to' metered out later by a couple of friends of the band may give that sumbag second thoughts in the future.

These are first hand examples not "my mate" this or "I know someone that" - thefts happen. All too bloody often.

It depends on the venue, but the vast majority of pubs that put on music these days are not the sort you'd choose to drink in on a quiet night and therefore I think twice about certain pubs before chosing what to take.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7828
    Depends on the gig but generally I use my cheaper stuff. I'm not really worried about theft but I have had a fair amount of gear damaged over time, either through stupidity or accident. The worst was when a guy unplugged the speaker lead from my head at the end of a set without turning the amp off and it died.. That left me with a £250 repair bill.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 662
    I gig my 64 Jag and 72 Mustang. There has always been a backstage or storage area for gigs, plus the band or I have always had insurance.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I've gigged more as a drummer than a guitarist but the principles are the same.

I hate the unloading then having to leave and find a car parking space. Always leave someone with the gear, even if it's a friend who just came along to support.

As for taking valuable stuff along, I never worried too much, but then it was never that valuable. Sentimental value, yes, but the odd nick and ding just enhanced the memories of the guitar.

• exocetexocet Frets: 1983
    I was thinking about this recently. I've never owned "nice" guitars - neither pretty nor expensive (I consider £1k + to be expensive). I'm 50 this month and for the past year I have been contemplating buying a nice guitar e.g. a Les Paul with some fancy burst finish on it, perhaps spending £ 4k ish.  I came to the conclusion that I couldn't gig a guitar like that, either because of theft or more likely damage that I'd invariably inflict upon it. So yesterday I went out and bought another Telecaster...one from the new US Pro range.....not worth the money but still a nice guitar and yes, I'll happily gig it.
  • I can't justify the cost of having all my guitars insured as gigging guitars so I've pretty much defined my gigging set and the rest get used at home, for practice, jam nights etc. Every once in a while I switch them around but 'sadly' my gigging set has become 3 DGTs and an SC with a strat or two thrown in for really iffy pubs...
  • If the gig is in a small tight pub then I'll take a cheaper more rugged guitar because of the risk of punters walking past and bashing the headstock .  If I've got a bit more space then I'll very happily gig my Les Paul R8.