Dylan

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980

I'm afraid I came to Dylan late in my life, I only just "got" Dylan, tail end of last year

since then I've bought about two dozen of his albums, all the best ones :)

I even bought the super expensive TELL TALE SIGNS (the triple) for about 8 quid on eBay. Woo hooo

there is something very special about discovering an artist late in their career/your life, buying up their work and listen to how it all unfolds.50 odd years worth of hard work and beautiful music.

FTR my favs are one of his so called "triplet" series...TIME OUT OF MIND,"LOVE AND THEFT" and MODERN TIMES

I have Dylan BIOGRAPH (compilation with some rarities)  to finish then I have saved TEMPEST for the last 

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I prefer Dougal myself.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Get 'Oh Mercy'. Again produced by Daniel Lanios (like Time out of Mind) For the later period Dylan those are the key albums.
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    i prefer the earlier stuff, first album up to about John Wesley Harding. Dont really 'get' him after that. I have a mate who preferst he stuff you like, It's always thought that there is pre motorbike accident and post motor bike accident Dylan, tho I think it was more of a gradual thing.
    John Wesley Harding is an interesting album because it's not really mentioned much , but a lot of tracks were big hits by a pretty diverse bunch of people- 'All Along the Watchtower'-Hendrix,' I'll be your baby tonight'-UB40, 'The Wicked Messenger'-The Faces.Have to say I prefer the original versions tho. 
     I'm on a bit of a Byrds rediscovery at the mo- it could possibly be said their career was made by Dylan covers-they are rather good tho,
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22234
    Just don't see him live. I did and it was dreadful. Imagine a super-well drilled bar band backing an off-key Mark E. Smith and you'd be right. Leonard Cohen gets the balance right between new material and the greatest hits; Dylan just pisses all over his. 

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2937
    Ive seen his Bobness a couple of times.  One was stunning and another was an embarrassment of mumbled mediocracy.  Thing was a work chum when to a different venue a few nights later on the same tour and reported a fantastic experience.

Bob live can be very random.

• I have Dylan albums and very rarely played them but I watched a Joan Baez doc on Sky Arts t other week and it made me start listening to Dylan. currently cannot stop listening to Hurricane
  • I've got a fair bit of Dylan up to and including JWH ... the rest i can tolerate in small doses.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2013
    Anyone else looking forward to the 'Another Self Portrait' Bootleg series? I shudder in anticipation, but I've got all the other albums so I couldn't not buy it.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    I got into Dylan with the early albums in my dim and distant youth.  Love the earlier stuff, certainly up and to including John Wesley Harding and possibly the album after that (can't remember what the title was). Have to say I rather like the latest CD. I've only seen him once live but did enjoy the gig.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited August 2013
    My sister who is 20 years my senior said to me a few years ago that she would give 'anything' to see Dylan play live before she died.

A few months later, I found he was doing a tour with Mark Knopfler supporting. I checked ticket prices and found that there were some left at £136-a bit steep but I quite fancied seeing MK and thought being in the same room as Bob might be a good idea.

I rang my sister with the good news and was met with a curt 'I'm not paying that much....'
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12410
    He went shit after "mellow yellow"
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Oh, I thought he went downhill after "Draft Dodger Rag".
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

I first heard him on Radio Caroline in the late 60s.  Hated his voice - think his songs are great. Like his stuff performed by others 
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Love his songwriting and wordcraft but his performances can be hit and miss. At his bestwwith The Band IMHO. His work will ensure his place in popular culture.