Did/Does anyone own/play one of the Fender MIM Classic 'lacquer' series?

What's Hot
LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
edited January 2017 in Guitar
Got my eye on one of the offsets. The fiesta red Jag looks laaaarvely. 

How's the qual' on these guitars? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    My workmate has the Tele in this series, and it is a monster of a guitar.  I'd happily own it.
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    I have the Fiesta Red Jag. I feel it's a small notch above the Classic Strat and Tele I have, and the nitro finish feels nicer somehow - it's already aged a little by losing some of that glassy gloss which poly finishes will retain for years. A couple of small things needed tweaking on my Strat and Tele but this was great out of the box. All I've done is install a Straytrem bridge (essential imo) and give the truss rod a 1/4 turn because I've gone up to 11s. What you get for your money above a MIM Classic are AVRI pickups and a rather nice hard case. 
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    If you're after the vintage look then these are some if this best guitars we make for that. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2466
    Don't own one but played a few in stores. Think they're really great and would probably take one over the US version. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Played the 50s lacquer Tele. Superb guitar. Excellent quality and if I was in the market to buy a guitar it would definitely be in my shortlist.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25563
    The black Precision bass one looks amazing.

I'd love to own one.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    I have the Fiesta Red Jag. I feel it's a small notch above the Classic Strat and Tele I have, and the nitro finish feels nicer somehow - it's already aged a little by losing some of that glassy gloss which poly finishes will retain for years. A couple of small things needed tweaking on my Strat and Tele but this was great out of the box. All I've done is install a Straytrem bridge (essential imo) and give the truss rod a 1/4 turn because I've gone up to 11s. What you get for your money above a MIM Classic are AVRI pickups and a rather nice hard case. 
    pics? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74491
    I don't own one, but I've played one of the Teles. In my opinion they're the best guitars Fender make below the US Custom Shop - even the standard non-nitro ones probably are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited January 2017
    having pre-cbs,regular custom shops, masterbuilt. For me the classic fender series (be it lacquer or regular models) have necks that resemble vintage fenders more than most custom shops I've tried.Really good value for your money if you find a good one (like any guitar).
    Actually I've been thinking the last few days of selling mine and finally going for a Johnny Marr Jaguar. I'm a massive Marr fanboy, and it's his recent enthusiasm for Jags that sparked my interest in them. But when I stop to think about it, I'd have to stump up almost twice what I paid for this one (and sell it) to get a JM. I'm struggling to see how much better it can be for £1000 more! This one has comparable quality pickups in it already, I have upgraded to a Straytrem bridge, so it's basically down to the series switching - which I could do by rewiring the slide switches anyway.
  • I have the 60's strat from this line and love it. NGD thread here: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/64665/ngd-lacquer-strat

Since owning it the only things I've done moved the bottom tone to the bridge pup. The nitro finish does feel different somehow, my mate has a boggo MIM standard and somehow this just feels 'more'. Maybe its a trink of the brain, who knows.

In the future the only thing I see my self changing is maybe the pickups for something a bit more high end (the stock ones sound fine though) and a no loan tone pot on the bridge. Oh and the action set up correctly, I can never quite get the right balance between high action and bendabilty right on 7.25 radiuses. Its always one or the other.

I used mine in a cover I did recently. The original part was done on a Jazzmaster but the Jaguar gets pretty close to the sound I hear on record. Guitars are straight into a Vox AC15 with reverb and delay added in Logic.