Phase 90 or evh phase 90?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• danodano Frets: 1612
    I had the EVH for several years and it sounded fantastic. If you can get it for the same price as a normal P90 go for it as the paint job is cool.
    Only downside is the blue led is very bright and difficult to look down at a pedal board in the dark when it's on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    The script reissue Phase 90 is the one RI that's actually better than the original. Lush as hell.
    I seem to recall from the depths of the Internet in about 2009 that there are pics of the PCB for the script reissue and it's silkscreened as the EVH PCB with just a couple of component differences. I might have a look this evening if I can find it.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    The block is just the script with feedback added. 

From what I understand you can turn a block to a script by snipping one component. I'd always want the choice as the script is nicer clean while the block stands out more with gain.
    The block is just the script with feedback added. 

From what I understand you can turn a block to a script by snipping one component. I'd always want the choice as the script is nicer clean while the block stands out more with gain.
    That's right. I seem to recall it's R28 that you snip. The EVH just switches this in for the script / block.

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Guys you're getting confused again with the script thing.

The only genuine "script" model, as in, like the early 70's script Phase 90, is the Custom Shop 74 reissue, model CSP026.  The other "script" models are not a recreation of the original early 70's phase 90, they are various "more subtle" versions of the later block models. The circuits are not the same as the 74.  The "script" button on the EVH is not the same as the reissue of what he used back in the day.  Lifting the feedback resistor is not the same as the original script model.

Not saying there's anything wrong with any of these, it's a matter of taste.  Some find the 74 too subtle, some too harsh, try them all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    dano said:
    Gassage said:
    The script reissue Phase 90 is the one RI that's actually better than the original. Lush as hell.
    I seem to recall from the depths of the Internet in about 2009 that there are pics of the PCB for the script reissue and it's silkscreened as the EVH PCB with just a couple of component differences. I might have a look this evening if I can find it.
    I strongly suspect that'd be the script with LED one. I think @clarkefan is correct.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    clarkefan said:
    Guys you're getting confused again with the script thing.

The only genuine "script" model, as in, like the early 70's script Phase 90, is the Custom Shop 74 reissue, model CSP026.  The other "script" models are not a recreation of the original early 70's phase 90, they are various "more subtle" versions of the later block models. The circuits are not the same as the 74.  The "script" button on the EVH is not the same as the reissue of what he used back in the day.  Lifting the feedback resistor is not the same as the original script model.

Not saying there's anything wrong with any of these, it's a matter of taste.  Some find the 74 too subtle, some too harsh, try them all.

The only other difference I know is that the old ones had 6 op amps rather than 3 double op amps, but I'm pretty sure some of the old block phasers also had this circuit and the only difference was the extra resistor. 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    The 74 reissue has 6 single op amps, it's exactly like the original. 

And I think you're right, the first block models had them as well, I don't know when the circuit started changing.