Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Whats your opinion on converting Les Paul Juniors to 59-60 full Fat Les Pauls

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74491
    I would rather play a butchered LPJR with open/empty routes, random drill holes and a dogear P90 bolted in somewhere than a weird rebuilt 'standard' LP any day.
    I probably would too, but agreeing with/liking the result of this kind of modification and understanding why someone would do it are different things.

Sassafras said:
    What's this fixation with 59 Bursts?
    I mean, there are other guitars around.
    Indeed, and all you have to do is watch Led Zep at the Albert Hall to know that a Custom *sounds* better too… and is worth about a tenth of the price.

But still, the market is what it is, and will continue to inspire fakers while original Standards are 'worth' the price of a house.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    I'm a total vintage guitar snob but having had the chance to compare a '59 Burst to my '56 TV Special (which incidentally I paid less for that the cost of two genuine PAF humbuckers) in the same room, I would happily choose the TV Special over the 'Burst. Regardless of the fact that I owned it, it was a better guitar in terms of playability & tone and more versatile.

Sassafras said:
    Because, to most of us, they are unobtainable. Simple.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74491
    miserneil said:
    Sassafras said:
    I think it's more because it's the iconic Page/Green/Kossoff/Clapton (Beano) guitar - or at least the one most associated with those players at that time, even though they used others. A 50s Custom is equally unobtainable for most of us, but doesn't seem to attract the same hysteria. And because to a lot of people, a flame-top Standard is 'beautiful' in a way that a Jr, Special or a black Custom isn't. (Personally I think over-rated, unless it's a more subtle one than seem to attract most people.)

For what it's worth I just played an R9 Standard and an R7 Custom that have come in for sale in the shop. The Custom is far better as a guitar, to me - but the R9 will still sell quicker and for money, I'm sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    They are nice and if I had that amount of spare cash I'd have a good one

I hope I get to have a good special though, that's more real world imo

Having compared a 58 54 and my hand made tbh there wasn't enough difference to warrant spending that kind of money

I'd have the 54 and a cobra replica, which is the same sort of thing really I'd never be able to have a real one, ever, it's for the seriouslyy rich, why shouldn't I have something that looks and go's like the real ones, they're not cheap either

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    sound and feel wise I prefer juniors, specias and 3X5s to any maple topped les paul.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    miserneil said:
    Sassafras said:
    I think it's more because it's the iconic Page/Green/Kossoff/Clapton (Beano) guitar - or at least the one most associated with those players at that time, even though they used others. A 50s Custom is equally unobtainable for most of us, but doesn't seem to attract the same hysteria. And because to a lot of people, a flame-top Standard is 'beautiful' in a way that a Jr, Special or a black Custom isn't. (Personally I think over-rated, unless it's a more subtle one than seem to attract most people.)

For what it's worth I just played an R9 Standard and an R7 Custom that have come in for sale in the shop. The Custom is far better as a guitar, to me - but the R9 will still sell quicker and for money, I'm sure.
    This is true and I totally agree that they are perhaps the most iconic Les Paul but my point is a 50's Custom is obtainable to more people (especially if it has issues, you'd probably be in £20k + territory) than a Burst is, (a refin '59 Burst is still going to be touching £100k) hence why there is not so much hysteria about them.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1822
    I am glad to see most people seem to share my indignation, I sort of thought I was overreacting as I try to say live and let live but this sort of crossed a mental line with me