Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

As the mood takes me...

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
edited January 2017 in Guitar
Some days I like to play my Strat, on others my Tele, or Les Paul or SG etc.  Sometimes it's because I've heard something played on that guitar that's prompted me, or it's for no other reason than just how I feel on the day.  Similarly I might use one amp one day, but a different amp another day.  When I gig, sometimes I'll take a LP & Tele, other days for the same set I'll take an SG and Strat.  

No rhyme or reason to it - anyone else like that?  
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I don't suppose the audience cares one way or the other so why should I?
    Use whatever works on the day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    Sassafras said:
    I don't suppose the audience cares one way or the other so why should I?
    Use whatever works on the day.
    I was more thinking of at home too - for folk with more than one amp/guitar, do folk tend to stick with just a favourite or do they chop & change around amps/guitars for no real reason.  Some folk on Fretboard have 30 or more guitars and I think at least one is into 3 figures! - do they all get played regularly? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1587
    edited January 2017
    I always gig with the same two, at home I tend to pickup whatever happens to be in the room at the time. 
    I chop and change all the time. My reasoning is that I've got a few guitars and amps, I might as well use them. My hard tail Strat gets the most use but it's nice to have different flavours. Plus, fret wear is spread evenly among the guitars.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Voxman said:
    Some days I like to play my Strat, on others my Tele, or Les Paul or SG etc.  Sometimes it's because I've heard something played on that guitar that's prompted me, or it's for no other reason than just how I feel on the day.  Similarly I might use one amp one day, but a different amp another day.  When I gig, sometimes I'll take a LP & Tele, other days for the same set I'll take an SG and Strat.  

Yeah, pretty much this. Except for the bit about the strat. I don't have a strat.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• When I was gigging I almost exclusively played my HSS Strat. I'd always take a spare (or spares), but I never broke a string so the spares were rarely played unless I felt like a change.

I play all my guitars at home as the mood takes me. For home recording I pick which guitar works best for the track.

Going forwards I've got a feeling I'll be mostly playing my new Telecaster at home because it's by far my lightest guitar.

It's not a competition.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    For pretty much a year now I have only played one guitar. I should sell all the others.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Until recently I regularly played a variety of electrics - but have come back to being primarily a Strat player again. I like seeing how much I can get out of one guitar.

I now only have a 335 (and an old American Standard Strat set up for slide) in addition to my main Strat.

The next step of my regression may well be buying a Music Man amp and pretending I'm 20 again....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    Yeah I'm the same. I tend to use different styles of guitar (and amps) for different types of music so it'll depend on what type of music I feel like playing.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1649
    With me sometimes my Les Paul just feels and sounds a bit dull and then I switch to my P90 Strat which sounds better. A few days after playing the Strat the same thing happens so I switch back to the Les Paul and remember how great it is. 

I also use my acoustic a lot and it being the cheapest of all my guitars it is most probably the best and is my favourite. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3494
    A few years ago I had about 17 ish guitars and a few amps. It got exhausting trying to decide which one to play and to be honest most where mediocre. 

I flogged the lot and bought a nicer car. 
    Now I'm lucky that I could (within reason) have any production guitar I want and an amp to match but about 3-4 months ago I stumbled onto the PRS s2 range and something clicked. 

Again sold old everything I had and now I'm playing either a standard 24 satin or a Vela, both feel like they where made for me and I'm back to playing daily and love it.  

Since i I got the Mesa single rectifier I've not felt the need for another amp. The clean channel is very clean or you can push it with the flick of a switch which adds however much gain you want plus slight compression and the dirty channel hs a vintage or modern switch that provides great variety. 

I wont say I'm done buying guitars but I've honestly stopped looking for now. I'm taking 2017 off from buying and I'll enjoy playing again more. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14266
    Voxman said:

Thinly veiled 'look how many guitars I've got' thread.  =)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • At home I'll play whatever I fancy at the time but at a gig I tend to choose my guitar based on my outfit and the occasion.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited January 2017
    I use my SG for everything now. I found when I had my LP I was always chopping and changing between the two and comparing the tiny differences rather than just enjoying playing. I got a bit obsessed and it was almost stressful. I'm much happier with one guitar for everything.

Neck P90 and bridge humbucker is a pretty versatile combo, I can get all my rock and metal sounds from the bridge and anything fendery and clean from the neck. 
  • I've got 3 electric guitars:
    One with HBs (Blacktop strat) one with a P90 (SG Jr) and one with a single coil (Esquire).
    Which I choose to play is determined by what sound I have in my head- esquire for jangly, Jr for snarly and Strat for roaring- but I can (& do) play anything on any of them. If I'm jamming I'll grab whichever I fancy and enjoy whatever sounds I get. 
    That said, I always seem to write using my Faith acoustic.  ;)
    At home I'll play whatever I fancy at the time but at a gig I tend to choose my guitar based on my outfit and the occasion.  
     Always wear a white outfit. It's an ideal backdrop for any finish, except maybe white guitars.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My main gigging guitars have always been two telecasters (one with an SD Li'l 59 and the other an SD Hot Stack), and a Blacktop Jazzmaster with a Gibson 498T humbucker. Usually two of the three would go to a gig, and I'd have them both tuned up, then select which sounded best for that particular venue. 
  • Sassafras said:
    At home I'll play whatever I fancy at the time but at a gig I tend to choose my guitar based on my outfit and the occasion.  
     Always wear a white outfit. It's an ideal backdrop for any finish, except maybe white guitars.
    My post got a LOL but whether you like it or not, a band's image is important, even for lowely little pub covers bands like ours.

If we're doing a wedding with a black suits and white shirts it kinda makes sense to use a black and white guitar.  Alternatively, if you're playing in a pub to a bunch of bikers, jeans, a black T-shirt and a sunburst Les Paul seems about right.  It's also interesting to note that since I started thinking about this stuff, the rest of the band has followed suit (pun intended!) and consequently we're now looking more like a band than just a bunch of blokes playing together.
  • steersteer Frets: 1233
    edited January 2017
    If I can be bothered setting up my pedal board at home, then I will play any one of my 4 electrics - Gretsch more often than not
    . If I cant be bothered getting the pedal board out, then the best sounding guitar I have straight through the dirty amp channel is my Chapman ML2. Consequently, that is the guitar that gets played the most. Plus with the coil tap option, it gives a wide array of sounds. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1221
    I usually tend to play the Strat then the LP if I am going to be practicing at home session (say an hour or so plus). The Special DC doesn't get a look in and is on the chopping block now.

I take both the Strat and LP to band rehearsals but for the style of music we play it's the LP every time for the whole session.