removing marker pen on amp chassis?

What's Hot
have an old marshall that a tech modded once. ive put it back to stock and wondering what could remove the marker pen on the back panel, turps etc? any suggestions welcome!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    I use tea-tree oil for this sort of thing.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3530
    worth trying lighter fluid
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Whiteboard marker.  For some reason that baffles me, if you write over it with a whiteboard marker and wipe it, the permanent marker will come off.
  • interesting tips, thanks!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    Maplin Label Remover spray. Just be careful, it's a very powerful solvent and will take the panel lettering off as well if you use too much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1675
    edited January 2014

ISOPROPA or meths but as IC said, don't rub too hard on the legending!

Ha!  Just looked it up. Whiteboard cleaner IS  ISOPROP!

Dave.

• MistergMisterg Frets: 353
    Meths will remove permanent marker easily. I mark out pedal boxes with permanent pen, and a wipe with meths takes it off straight away. Other solvents I've tried (acetone, IPA, white spirit, etc.) were nowhere near as effective.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    Rox said:
    Whiteboard marker.  For some reason that baffles me, if you write over it with a whiteboard marker and wipe it, the permanent marker will come off.
    i once suggested that to someone when they used permenant marker on a whiteboard.  he spent half an hour going over the writing very carefully with the new pen.  i forgot to mention you have to wipe if off whilst its still wet 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2491
    Rox said:
    Because the thinners in the marker are Isopropal Alcohol. Same as whiteboard pen remover :)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    WezV said:
    Rox said:
    i once suggested that to someone when they used permenant marker on a whiteboard.  he spent half an hour going over the writing very carefully with the new pen.  i forgot to mention you have to wipe if off whilst its still wet 
    It's bloody annoying.  I spent AGES marking out stuff on a whiteboard in permanent marker - a nice big grid, so I could use whiteboard markers to fill in information that changes.  And when I wiped it off, some of the permanent marker came off too.  :(

Defeated the whole bloody object of being permanent...!  :D
    FX_Munkee said:
    Rox said:
    Because the thinners in the marker are Isopropal Alcohol. Same as whiteboard pen remover :)
    So if I'm really desperate for a boozy hit, I can just lick whiteboard markers?  Good to know.  ;)
  • Misterg said:
    Meths will remove permanent marker easily. I mark out pedal boxes with permanent pen, and a wipe with meths takes it off straight away. Other solvents I've tried (acetone, IPA, white spirit, etc.) were nowhere near as effective.

ill try a touch of meths first then. thanks
    clarkydaz said:
    Misterg said:

That's how it starts... next step, hanging round street corners with a flea ridden Jack Russell begging for change.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rox said:
    clarkydaz said:
    Misterg said:

That's how it starts... next step, hanging round street corners with a flea ridden Jack Russell begging for change.
    lol! but i'll have a nice clean chassis so all worth it
  • Rox said:
    clarkydaz said:
    Misterg said:

edited January 2014
    clarkydaz said:
    Rox said:
    clarkydaz said:
    Misterg said:

It's already started; you're repeating yourself without knowing it... slippery slope, I tells ya.  :D

...and so am I.  Is the forum throwing a wobbler?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28006
    Rox said:

Tidied up for you :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ok was in Tesco and grabbed some whiteboard pens for £2. lo and behold took the marker pen clean off with little fuss, awesome
    TTony said:
    Rox said:

Tidied up for you :)
    Thanks muchly.  :)

clarkydaz said:
    ok was in Tesco and grabbed some whiteboard pens for £2. lo and behold took the marker pen clean off with little fuss, awesome
    Sounds unlikely, I know, but dead easy to use.  :)