Terry Morgan 59 Reissue

What's Hot

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5317
    true will change that post   thanks for pointing that out though FB meant fretboard
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    In the strictest sense it is indeed a fake. You could say it's no different to reproduction antique furniture - but I guess the difference is that the original company still exists..

I am really torn on this one - a real 59 burst is well beyond the vast majority's means and this is one way of getting damn close.. 

The only thing I would say is as a retailer would you be worried that you could sell it to someone who then tries to sell it on as a real 59 to an unsuspecting buyer? Unlikely, I know, but still...
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    I can see both points, but for me the title is about a Terry Morgan 59 LP, not a "Gibson" Les Paul, therefore I would have no issue buying a superbly created 59 replica and proud for it to say Terry Morgan on the Headstock.
    To reference this, I'm currently looking at top crafted vintage style Strats and looking at Masterbuilt Fenders. An option is the superbly crafted SVL Reserve 61 Strat built by Simon. It's lauded as one of the best vintage style strat available, but with SVL on the headstock. 

Just saying
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 501
    Assuming the numbers are small enough, making high quality guitars with The Gibson name on them do no harm to Gibson at all. Quite the reverse.
    High quality guitars that are very like a Gibson with someone else's name on them are much more of a problem. 
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Price doubles with Gibson on the headstock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16919
    capo4th said:
    Sad but true
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3308
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    Funny how Terry is ok to make replicas with most of the people here yet if someone else makes a replica it gets hammered by most here
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited January 2017
    Mark has said it'll be on his website and FB, where has he intimated it'll be for sale on this forum? 
    Just to be clear about what I meant in my post - my concern here is for @Guitars4you - Mark's a lovely guy and a popular and respected member here. This kind of thing has the potential to unravel in ways which can't necessarily be predicted and I'd be sorry if someone as straight-forward as Mark became involved in a load of grief, knowing that his intentions would always be 'right'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27881
    DamianP said:

High quality guitars that are very like a Gibson with someone else's name on them are much more of a problem. 
    Because the someone else's name would start to establish a recognisable brand, with the association of quality to the name, and thus value.  Gibson's name is all that they have left now, as long as people are knocking out G copies - whether for £50 or £5000 - with the G name on the headstock, it's all adding to the perception that a G is worth copying because it has those values of quality and aspiration.

In reality, it doesn't.  We all recognise that G QC is "variable", that their marketing and product-dumping has undermined the value of the brand, and that really they're taking a slow-motion long walk off a short production line ...

I really don't get the fake-name-on-the-headstock thing.  The only explanation I can see for it is that the maker, and then the owner, is trying to make someone else think that the guitar is something that it's not and/or that the owner has the $$ to buy something that they can't.  

It's "passing off", surely?

Whether it's a knock-off D&G handbag in Romford market, or a £5k guitar, the principle is the same.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    WezV said:
    capo4th said:
    Sad but true
    Not always. Have you seen the price of a Gil Yaron LP?
    He wouldn't sell them with his name on and people want that logo, it's very profitable too

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    Funny how Terry is ok to make replicas with most of the people here yet if someone else makes a replica it gets hammered by most here
    Darren, this is totally untrue.

There was a TM guitar in a FS Thread 18 months ago that was pretty much flamed off the board. There seems to be a big anti-replica feeling here regardless of makers - especially if a replica is starting to bring one of the most honest and reputable guitar dealers in the UK's reputation into question. Gil Yaron guitars have also been met with derision from some quarters too, likewise JXG. It's par for the course.

Are you alluding to your own replicas here?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:

I'm not going down that road again Neil and what I was trying to get across, we know how that ended 

I've sent a pm about your special though and thanks for the help
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5317
    miserneil said:

totally agree i ahve just bought a K line because it is a Telecaster and it is a great one. albeit with a slight alteration to the headstock...If it wasn't for folks making copies we wouldnt have the great standard of available small shop handmade guitars... I do think though care needs to be taken that preferred treatment because of "special" guitar status is avoided
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27881
    miserneil said:

There seems to be a big anti-replica feeling here regardless of makers
    I think it'd be more accurate to say that many members are ambivalent and some actively support (by buying or making) "replicas".

However, there is a strong anti-fake approach taken by us modmins in the Classifieds areas, because we don't want to have to get into all the grey areas (and potential legalities) so we keep it very black, and white.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark has said it'll be on his website and FB, where has he intimated it'll be for sale on this forum? 
    Just to be clear about what I meant in my post - my concern here is for @Guitars4you - Mark's a lovely guy and a popular and respected member here. This kind of thing has the potential to unravel in ways which can't necessarily be predicted and I'd be sorry if someone as straight-forward as Mark became involved in a load of grief, knowing that his intentions would always be 'right'.
    With similar candour Richard, so is mine. 

To reiterate and clarify,  Mark has not implied that this guitar will be for sale here, rather it will be listed on his website and FaceBook...apologies if my previous post and the careless use of the abbreviation FB lead some to believe I meant here - the Fret Board. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16919
    monkey42 said:
    WezV said:
    capo4th said:
    Sad but true
    Not always. Have you seen the price of a Gil Yaron LP?
    Yeah, but Gil is a special case.  He is the opposite of secretive and I think Gibson owe a lot to his openness.  

It's no coincidence that Gibson start talking about the authenticity of their plastic parts a few years after Gil goes on a very public crusade to produce the same. 

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    He wouldn't sell them with his name on and people want that logo, it's very profitable too
    So are high quality 'replica' Rolexes.

Whether (regardless of quality) this is 'right' is a question of morality....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I have probably made my feelings clear on this before.....

It doesn't matter if it is made with stranded unicorn hair by angels or plywood by $1 an hour slaves, it's still a fake if it has someone other than the makers logo on it.

Anyone who supports and encourages forgery should be ashamed of themselves.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I'm not saying if it's right or wrong but fact is with his name it wouldn't be worth as much imo and he'd probably have to change the headstock shape 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)