Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I think I'd better stop vaping

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29052
    Sporky said:
    all you're meant to inhale is air.
    Which, considering the pollution in the major conurbations, is not as simple as it sounds. Did you catch any of the recent reporting on the Canadian study of the relationship between exposure to traffic pollution and increased risk of dementia? 
    I did not, I'll have a look.

I can't disagree that there's plenty of pollution around. That just makes me think that deliberately inhaling more not-air is an ever worse idea. A bit like the asbestos risks - multiplied enormously if you smoke.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2950
    boogieman said:
    Reverend said:
    Isn't nicotine a deadly poison with  lower ld50 than arsenic or something.
    It is indeed. I was on the jury for a trial where we had a biohazard expert from Porton Down talking to the court about poisons. He told us nicotine is really nasty stuff, it used to be used to kill greenfly until they realised gardeners were absorbing it through the skin and keeling over at alarmingly regular intervals. Cigarettes don't kill smokers immediately because they only contain minute amounts of nicotine and your body can deal with that reasonably quickly.

The trouble with vaping liquids is currently there's little control over what level of nicotine they contain. Proper legislation and testing in the U.K. doesn't kick in till later this year. 
    The most harmful stuff in cigarettes isn't just nicotine; it's the tar, cyanide and arsenic.

The legislation and regulation is needed; but the ridiculously heavy-handed implementation of it will just send people back to fags. The media and government don't want to people to vape, and it's painfully obvious.

ThePrettyDamned said:
    To be honest, you look like a knobend 

Perhaps you could coach me into looking as cool and hip as you?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:

@monquixote , as Nietzsche once sad, that which does not kill us, makes us stronger.
    From which we can surmise that Nietzsche never had polio.

No , but he did have pneumonia.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17856
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:

@monquixote , as Nietzsche once sad, that which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

No , but he did have pneumonia.

Along with everything else. 

He's a good example of his own quote as he had horrific physical and mental illness his whole life which drove him towards being arguably the most important philosopher of the 19th century.
  • derndern Frets: 357
    edited January 2017
    Four weeks of gritting your teeth and you can quit smoking, job done. Can't see the point of vaping at all. It's not even the case that nicotine is even a half decent drug... it's just habit.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16337
    Nitefly said:
    As I asked in the other thread, but no-one commented:

Is there such a thing as "passive vaping"?

I ask because I have noted, in some circumstances, vast clouds of second-hand "vape" being exhaled in premises where smoking is prohibited, and I wonder what might be in it.

(I speak as an ex-smoker, 30 a day, gave up cold turkey 25 years ago).

Just reading around it, apparently vaping is such an effective way of delivering nicotine to the vapourist that there's none left in the clouds ( which are water vapour with trace amounts of the flavourings). They can set off some smoke alarms though, which is useful to know if someone says they are alright to use in a no smoking building. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Nitefly said:
    As I asked in the other thread, but no-one commented:

Is there such a thing as "passive vaping"?

I ask because I have noted, in some circumstances, vast clouds of second-hand "vape" being exhaled in premises where smoking is prohibited, and I wonder what might be in it.

(I speak as an ex-smoker, 30 a day, gave up cold turkey 25 years ago).

Just reading around it, apparently vaping is such an effective way of delivering nicotine to the vapourist that there's none left in the clouds ( which are water vapour with trace amounts of the flavourings). They can set off some smoke alarms though, which is useful to know if someone says they are alright to use in a no smoking building. 
    I see a guy walk past my house everyday on his way to the train station & he uses what I can only describe as something that looks like a bicycle pump & the amount of vape he exhales is incredible.WTF emoticon

My missus vapes in the house but I cant really smell anything.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Sporky said:

Or said it... 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17856
    tFB Trader
    Myranda said:
    Sporky said:

Or said it... 

It's from Twilight of the idols.
  • Bidley said:
    boogieman said:
    Reverend said:
    Isn't nicotine a deadly poison with  lower ld50 than arsenic or something.
    It is indeed. I was on the jury for a trial where we had a biohazard expert from Porton Down talking to the court about poisons. He told us nicotine is really nasty stuff, it used to be used to kill greenfly until they realised gardeners were absorbing it through the skin and keeling over at alarmingly regular intervals. Cigarettes don't kill smokers immediately because they only contain minute amounts of nicotine and your body can deal with that reasonably quickly.

The trouble with vaping liquids is currently there's little control over what level of nicotine they contain. Proper legislation and testing in the U.K. doesn't kick in till later this year. 
    The most harmful stuff in cigarettes isn't just nicotine; it's the tar, cyanide and arsenic.

The legislation and regulation is needed; but the ridiculously heavy-handed implementation of it will just send people back to fags. The media and government don't want to people to vape, and it's painfully obvious.

ThePrettyDamned said:
    To be honest, you look like a knobend 

Perhaps you could coach me into looking as cool and hip as you?

Hey, I ain't saying it doesn't have its place - if you smoke, you smell like an ashtray. 

I stick by everything I said - if vaping is safer and a good way to quit, great, I hope it continues helping people quit. But I'm seeing people start vaping just because - they've never touched a cigarette in their life. And guess what? It smells bad and looks silly. Add to that the current lack of control and they could be potentially quite dangerous in themselves. 

I also think people that stumble around drunk look like knobends. I never claimed to be hip and cool, thus it isn't a useful argument against me.