Should we have a separate Acoustic board

What's Hot
mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
Just wondering if it's worth having a separate Acoustic section, as we had in the old place? Any thoughts?

btw anyone going to the London Acoustic Show on 7/8 September?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15636

did the other one get much use? It always seemed to me that each tasteful, acoustic based thread was swamped under the weight of pointy, widdly woo guitar threads. I'd like to see one, but think I may be in a minority.

Would love to go, wrong end of the country.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    edited August 2013
    I popped into the acoustic room on MR occasionally and mostly I found Bertie drinking alone, we'd argue for a bit about Taylor's, then I'd leave. :) 

Edit: went to the acoustic show last year, will probably pop my head around this year too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72677
    dindude said:
    I popped into the acoustic room on MR occasionally and mostly I found Bertie drinking alone, we'd argue for a bit about Taylor's, then I'd leave. :) 
    Same here :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rprrpr Frets: 310
    I play predominately acoustic, but spent most of my time in the electric section of MR. I don't think there's that much that can said about them to be honest. They cant be modded like electrics, there isn't the same range of FX and amps that alter the sound the same way., There is lots of electrics that are nice to look at even if I don't want it or it doesn't suit my style, whereas acoustics are pretty much different shades of.brown and curvy  I've only ever owned 3 acoustics, whereas I've lost count of the amount of electrics I've owned
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    The acoustic section was pretty quiet, but then the whole forum was quite quiet in recent times.  There does seem to be more activity here but I'm not sure it's worth a separate section.

Really dedicated acoustic players will probably find their way to a dedicated acoustic site.
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    dindude;12272" said:

Why were you talking about Taylor's in the acoustic section? :)

Kind of like talking about an MR2 on a sports car forum....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    edited August 2013
    Mid engined, rear wheel drive, 2 seater, accesable to the masses, I see you're point :-SS
    Edit: I've no idea what that smileys supposed to be.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17684
    tFB Trader
    We can have one if there is demand, but I don't think there was enough traffic to justify it on MR and I hate dead boards. 
  • An acoustic section would be good.

The MR  one was pretty dead but hopefully we could improve on that.

Acoustics are my thing these days and I would like to get into more discussions about them, especially antique acoustics.
    Old Is Gold
  • I say give it a trial and if it is dead then chop it
    Old Is Gold
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited August 2013
    dindude said:
    Edit: I've no idea what that smileys supposed to be.
    Biting your nails. ;)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17684
    tFB Trader
    I'm inclined to go the other way. If there are loads of threads about acoustics I'll move them into their own section.
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Buying acoustics yes - acoustic playing techniques yes - flatpicking - fingerpicking - hitty bangy type playing techniques  - styles of music - My acoustic heroes are Martin Carthy - John Renbourn - Chet Atkins  etc 
  • I'm inclined to go the other way. If there are loads of threads about acoustics I'll move them into their own section.
    Ah a challenge to fill the Guitar forum with lots of stuff about acoustics! Well I accept the challenge good sir.
    Old Is Gold
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7853
    my pedal board pictured elsewhere (and again below ;) ) is for my acoustic, and then into a Laney acoustic amp, so you can add all sorts of effects to them if you like :)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    rpr said:
    I don't think there's that much that can said about them to be honest. They cant be modded like electrics, there isn't the same range of FX and amps that alter the sound the same way.
    I agree that people don't tend to turn them over like they do electrics, but there's certainly a lot you can do with them in terms of modding (mostly pickup systems) and you can use effects on them just the same as an electric. I know most acoustic players tend not to though.

If anything it's more of an open field at the moment and hasn't become as tired and set in stone as a lot of the electric guitar stuff has.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• birdobirdo Frets: 24
    There's a whole lot to talk about with acoustics . Body size , wood ( back,sides and tops ) bracing patterns , scale lengths , amount of frets and amount of strings plus more . However this does seem a place for more electric players or at least they post more.
  • I notice Lixarto's J45 ('from Hartnolls') is up for sale in the classifieds.... Maybe acoustics are on their way out...
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13572
    I would 'like' a separate one, of only due to the number of "electric" based posts, anything about acoustic soon gets relegated to lower pages if not added to in a few hours. Im got a great fan of trawling through pages and pages just to find a couple of relevant threads that might interest me.

Be nice to have a separate one.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.

bertie said:
    I would 'like' a separate one, of only due to the number of "electric" based posts, anything about acoustic soon gets relegated to lower pages if not added to in a few hours. Im got a great fan of trawling through pages and pages just to find a couple of relevant threads that might interest me.

Be nice to have a separate one.
    I would too, I actually think it should be for all acoustic instruments, since things like mandolins, ukeleles, banjos etc are more closely related to acoustic guitars - both in terms of the type of music, players etc and the tech that goes with them. I'm not sure it would really increase the traffic much but it might help to broaden the forum a little from being a purely guitar/bass one.