SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS/FT - Jazzmaster body - SOLD

victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1167
edited January 2017 in Parts £
Update 14/1/17 - I've been offered some very generous things for this, notably from Jooky and Rich, but ultimately they're not what I need in order to finish this project :-( With this is mind I'm putting a price on it as a few people have enquired about buying it. I'll be in the UK at the end of the month, so ideally I'd like to shift it for then, but if it doesn't happen then I'll have to sit tight and wait as I really need to get another finished JM body without spending any more pennies. Rich told me that it's an ash body from Guitarbuild underneath the nitro by the way.

£140 posted.

Well here goes a long story...

I'm building a 12 string Jazzmaster/Jag hybrid thingy and @lamf68 very kindly finished a body that he already had in a beautiful aged Charcoal Frost finish. The project is coming together very slowly as I need to cut a scratchplate and ream some tuner holes and I just haven't had much time recently. I fitted a T-O-M bridge and a trem plate when I got it a few months ago, and since then it's been patiently waiting in a case for the other bits. Anyway... I got the body out today and noticed that it's already started crazing, which is something that I wasn't expecting at all at this early stage. I know that a nitro finish will do this, but I was expecting it to happen over a much longer period of time, and it's not really want I want to be happening now. Damn those pesky laws of chemistry! With this is mind, I though I'd put it up for a trade in case anyone has another body that they would like to swap. I'm open on the colour front, and not even that bothered about a nitro finish. We all know that Rich's work is top drawer, so if anyone fancies the vintage look, or is doing a relic build, let me know. There are some photos on another post here, but I'll take some more soon to show the small amount of crazing that has already begun.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/79586/jagmaster-xii-build#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3132
    tFB Trader
    Take it you're looking for another JM body? 

Also, had a tele finished in Nitro by Ceri around two years ago, no signs of crazing yet. I wonder if it's something to do with the enviroment/humidity/temperature it's been kept in? Mine's been cased in a bedroom most of the time. Just a thought.
  • Yes, I am really . A Jag one might also be possible, but it depends on whether it's finished or not as I will need to dowel the thimble holes.

It's a bit warmer down here, but on the whole the temperatures pretty much track the UK temps, albeit 2/3 degrees warmer. I'm gutted really as Ceri's work is so bloody good, and the colour is bang on, but hey ho. As I'm not in a huge rush to finish the project I thought I'd try and swap it as it could well be right up someone else's street who wants to and can finish the ageing well.
  • rexterrexter Frets: 383
    tFB Trader
    very nice colour. looks like the crazing maybe stems from some of the 'pressure points'  - or where the screws have been drilled - I have noticed that happening on a few of my guitars. Persoanlly I'm all for checking and crazing but understand the reason behind wantingto trade. Sadly no spare bodies at the moment!
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • rexter said:
    very nice colour. looks like the crazing maybe stems from some of the 'pressure points'  - or where the screws have been drilled - I have noticed that happening on a few of my guitars. Persoanlly I'm all for checking and crazing but understand the reason behind wantingto trade. Sadly no spare bodies at the moment!
    Yes, this is exactly what's happened, although I fitted the hardware 2/3 months ago, so it's really in combination with the changes in temperature. It's nobody's fault, but just one of those things sadly. As I say, it's gutting as it's a real beauty, but it's a lesson learned for me as nitro doesn't seem to be my thing, so back to the drawing board. I'm getting some very, very generous offers, so hopefully it'll find a new home very soon where it can craze all day long ;-)

• rexterrexter Frets: 383
    tFB Trader
    Sure it won't hand around long then! Yes, up in my loft which is pretty damn chilly, I've noticed a bit more checking going on on my Jm headstock of late. It's fairly old so fits the vibe nicely in this case though. Really want to have Rich finish something for me in Burgundy Mist one day soon!
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • Update 14/1/17 - I've been offered some very generous things for this, notably from Jooky and Rich, but ultimately they're not what I need in order to finish this project :-( With this is mind I'm putting a price on it as a few people have enquired about buying it. I'll be in the UK at the end of the month, so ideally I'd like to shift it for then, but if it doesn't happen then I'll have to sit tight and wait as I really need to get another finished JM body without spending any more pennies. Rich told me that it's an ash body from Guitarbuild underneath the nitro by the way.

£140 posted.

• Here are some more photos now that I have removed the hardware. You will see a very thin chip to the right of the trem cavity. This is covered by the trem assembly and is invisible when the trem's in place. It was caused by a slightly sharp edge on mine. Obviously the thimble holes have been dowelled too, but they are easily drilled out to bring it back to standard spec.

http://www.victorludorum.org/P1100010.JPG
    http://www.victorludorum.org/P1100011.JPG
    http://www.victorludorum.org/P1100012.JPG
    http://www.victorludorum.org/P1100013.JPG

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    That is a beauty - *sigh* - good luck with the sale, somebody is going to be getting a serious bargain with that. An ash body from Guitarbuild is getting on for two hundred these days..and Rich's paint - priceless :)

• SOLD to @damm73