Chapman Guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• steersteer Frets: 1219
    I have an ML 2, which is the Les Paul shape one. It is the later run, so it was built in the same factory as PRS SE's, and the much nicer sunburst finish than the original run. It has a pair of  Seymore Duncan pickups.  Grover tuners.  The coil tap option means that there is a wide range of sounds that it can put out. The gig bag it came with is excellent quality - similar to the PRS ones I believe. 

Sounds and plays great. It has an ebony fretboard, which I think is absolutely fantastic. In fact, I think that is what persuaded me to get it instead of a PRS SE. The finish is pretty much flawless. Nice chunky neck - glued on IIRC. . 

It is very heavy indeed. This might be an issue for some people. 

I bought it secondhand. I was looking for a PRS SE at the time, but came across this. It was a bit dirty and needed a new switch, and that may explain why I only paid what I did. 

Overall, I am delighted with it. Love or hate the bloke, there is nothing wrong with the guitar. 

(I  REALLY do not like reverse headstocks, so that rules out most of their range for me). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    I'd like to try the satin black tele model, think it looks really nice though would benefit from a normal headstock. 
  • I think the guitars look pretty good for what they are, I haven't tried one though. 

I saw they were supposed to have some new models out, there was a Rabea signature model with a Padauk neck which looked very nice. 
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
    Gassage said:
    he's just a bit of a character and he's done well.
    Agreed, I imagine he enjoys his job far more than most of us.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't stand the reverse headstock design so I'm out. 
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    My guitar teacher reviewed a bunch of guitars at andertons up to about 650 and bought this at 470.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/ML3-MOD-NAT/solid-body-electric-guitars/chapman-ml-3-modern-electric-guitar-in-natural-mahogany

He didn't even know who Mr Chapman was for the record.  He is a jazz degree guy and has a progressive metal band just releasing an EP on which, he recorded several tracks with this guitar.  

From what I've seen of it , briefly, it's a well put together guitar and played well.  Didn't get to run the pickups through the paces but sounded ok at home volume.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    In fairness, they do something that I really like; they're one of the few companies I can think of offering 7 and 8 string guitars that don't look metal.

The 7 string Tele is nice, and the Rob Scallon sig is nice in both 6 and 8.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    Reassuring to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't like the reverse head stocks!  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    edited January 2017
    steer said:
    I have an ML 2, which is the Les Paul shape one. It is the later run, so it was built in the same factory as PRS SE's, and the much nicer sunburst finish than the original run. It has a pair of  Seymore Duncan pickups.  Grover tuners.  The coil tap option means that there is a wide range of sounds that it can put out. The gig bag it came with is excellent quality - similar to the PRS ones I believe. 

Sounds and plays great. It has an ebony fretboard, which I think is absolutely fantastic. In fact, I think that is what persuaded me to get it instead of a PRS SE. The finish is pretty much flawless. Nice chunky neck - glued on IIRC. . 

It is very heavy indeed. This might be an issue for some people. 

I bought it secondhand. I was looking for a PRS SE at the time, but came across this. It was a bit dirty and needed a new switch, and that may explain why I only paid what I did. 

Overall, I am delighted with it. Love or hate the bloke, there is nothing wrong with the guitar. 

(I  REALLY do not like reverse headstocks, so that rules out most of their range for me). 
    Interestingly, that's the only Chapman guitar I've seen that has fret marker dots on the fingerboard albeit at the top & not central.  However, re p/ups, the current spec says these are "Chapman Guitars Guitarnivore Humbuckers (Alnico Passive, High Output)" so it looks like Seymour Duncs are no longer being used - presumably to cut costs! 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • steersteer Frets: 1219
    Voxman said:
    Interestingly, that's the only Chapman guitar I've seen that has fret marker dots on the fingerboard albeit at the top & not central.  However, re p/ups, the current spec says these are "Chapman Guitars Guitarnivore Humbuckers (Alnico Passive, High Output)" so it looks like Seymour Duncs are no longer being used - presumably to cut costs! 
     Mine was secondhand, and the Duncans were, as far as I understand, an upgrade by the previous owner. 
  • He makes more money than I do playing guitar and making videos. 
    More power to him I say. 

The guitars ive only played an ML-1 and the super skinny neck with really heavy body felt a bit odd to me. 

But ive heard people get good sounds. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1220
    tFB Trader
    I've taken a few apart to check the quality of the construction, which there is nothing wrong with. Set a few up and changed pickups in a couple.
    The stock pickups seem to be the only weakness in the ones which come with non branded pickups, also with a 20 minute fettle play and sound lovely. The fretwork is also very well finished.
    There are far far worse guitars made in that neck of the woods being sold for far more, so if you can get over paying more (for less), traditional brand snobbery & your views on Rob and his videos you can get a lovely guitar for not a lot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got a few a CAP10, Ghost fret and a ML2 - they do what they do for not much cash! The Stock Chapman pickups are not great but I tend to rip them out anyway once you do that and a little bit of setup they are great for the money.
  • i have played most of the range and have owned two of them and i must say for the money i thought they were great. Mine were all recent so i saw none of the apparent weight or quality issues of the early models. They were versatile, comfortable to play and sounded very good. I do love the ethos behind the whole company as well, every time i played mine i always thought "here is a guitar that cost the sum of its parts" which is something i like
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1809
    Have an ML1 trans grey.
    the guitar is nice the ebony board is a bonus at this price point and it sounds like a good rock guitar.

That said its on the transfer list here or eBay soon mostly as I have fat arthritic fingers and tuning the reverse headstock is difficult but you have to say the early world guitar ones were a lot of bang for yah Buck 

prices have risen now and there are lots of deals especially the end of year deals so the full fat price is not as competitive as it once was.

edited January 2017
    This is a tech review of the Chapman ML2 Classic - the guy really knows his stuff, and its well worth watching!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    steer said:
    Voxman said:
     Mine was secondhand, and the Duncans were, as far as I understand, an upgrade by the previous owner. 
    Having done a bit more digging, there's an ML2 Classic version that's higher spec than the standard ML2. This special run has the same basic spec as the standard ML-2 with the addition of a Gold Top finish, USA Seymour Duncan SH-1 Blues set of 59 PAF style humbuckers and in place of the coil tap you can pull the tone control to invert the phase of the neck pickup (commonly referred to as the Peter Green Mod).  I noted yours is Sunburst with the SD's, but it might even have been a factory upgrade. 
  • Vaiai said:
    I had an ML1 and apart from being heavy it was a great all rounder with coil tap options and really decent pickups. Lovely finish on it too - trans black one - looked and felt a lot more expensive than the £200-250 I paid s/h

I don't know if the rug or guitar is more concerning here. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I haven't tried one but I love the look of the tele type. I'd have bought one but I don't buy guitars any more.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I've tried a few and found them to be a bit faceless, they do just feel like most of the decent korean/indonesian imports that we get these days. They appear to be pretty well put together, especially considering the price and its nice to see a Uk based company doing so well.