SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

GuitarTransport & insurance,,,,need help

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16076
edited January 2017 in Guitars £

Let's say I was to buy, private deal, a guitar at the value of 1.5k

the seller is in England and decides to post to me here in Scotland

I have never been sure who is supposed to insure the guitar and make claim if said guitar turns up in Scotland with headstock problems....seller or buyer, who insures?

thanks guys 

SEE LAST POST FOLKS   

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Seller. You are buying a complete working guitar from them so it is their responsibility to get it to you.  As long as they are happy to ship and can pack it well enough it shouldn't be a problem.

From personal experience (I'm in France, which in all honesty isn't any more difficult or risky sending to or from than the UK) I have't had any issues. And this includes Les Paul's, PRS, Suhr, Tom Anderson. All high end gear.  Pack it well and it ought to arrive fine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16076
    Seller responsible,yeah?  thanks Ricky :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1340
    edited January 2017
    Always the seller.  A seller who isn't willing to take responsibility for shipping isn't worth dealing with.

www.wedelivertheworld.co.uk has always been willing to insure guitars for me, as long as I contact them before booking the shipment and send them pics of the packaging materials and the guitar all packaged up, showing that it's done properly.  Point the seller at them if you get the excuse of no-one being willing to insure guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12103
    edited January 2017
    read the T&Cs when you're the one sending
    parcel force excluded instruments last time I checked, but happily  accept an extra £20 in insurance
    AFAIK UPS are OK, I generally use them, via interparcel

Having said that, nothing I have ever sent has been damaged, and that's a lot of stuff

I bought an electric  guitar from Austria or Italy once, from a shop, and it arrived in the triangular maker's box with no padding of any kind,  but even then it was fine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    great stuff guys.....Bodhi, got a ballpark figure for a junior to Scotland from England, post and insurance....ballpark bro?
    tae be or not tae be
    Put the measurements of the box and its weight and how much you want it insured for into that web site and it'll tell you ;)
    edited January 2017
    The ES-335 I shipped via them earlier this year was £42.94 all in.  Found the receipt in an email.  But it depends on how much you want to insure for, of course.
    edited January 2017

So spoke with guy from England about buying his guitar and he does not appear bothered about insurance saying he has never had problem before.....

He suggests for my "peace of mind" I can use PP goods service with me paying  the 3.5% extra or whatever on top the 1.5k

that all sound OK you think.......if it comes all broke an' shit and he opted NOT to insure.....PP will sort me out. yeah? 

thanks guys....:)

tae be or not tae be
  • I did it the other way round on the Music Radar forum - an expensive semi-acoustic from Scotland to England. I trusted the seller, but not the unknown van monkey or their company's insurance policy.

So I bought a cheap 1st class rail ticket and made a day of it. Met the seller at the station and got the next train back to London, free food on both journeys and a few whiskies on the way back. :+1: