Tried a crush pro yesterday

ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
edited January 2014 in Amps
Slightly disappointed.

And also quite impressed. I tried the 60 watt 1x12.

So, the cleans were good - I much, much preferred the Bandit, but these were loud and clean, warm, and typically of a ss amp, very dynamic - it will amplify everything you do exactly as you do it (picking hard and soft etc). I assume this is what people mean when they say an amp is 'unforgiving'.

However, it's the drive that left me wanting, which is a real shame and I think I know why.

The gain is nice - a little grainy, but it's got character and has a fat tone, and it was easy to dial in a really great rhythm sound that worked for huge chords and tight stabs. However, there is something missing in the bass. I suspect it's down to the size of the combo - it's actually quite small, where my bandit is really quite big. There is plenty of volume to get sustain though, and the drive cleans up pretty well with picking dynamics.

I've heard worse sounding valve amps, but I had really high hopes for this.

It might suit others, but I felt like it was missing the bassy punch required by me. Also, that might vanish in the 2x12 or if you used a cab. It really is quite small - I was not expecting that, and it sounds a bit small. I'd be interested to know the actual dimensions of it versus the silver stripe bandit.

It has volume enough for gigging and, most importantly, both channels sound good. So it's very nearly a full score from me. Not a negative review but incomplete - needs trying through a large 1x12 or 2x12, which I think will really let it sing.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Two words...stone. head. :)
  • Two words...stone. head. :)
    I'm inclined to agree, but it is more expensive - and needs a cab.  

Don't get me wrong, it sounded, fundametally, good.  Wasn't tiring to listen to, and had a nice EQ and the gain was genuinely nice, but... It didn't sound very big! I don't know how else to put it.  Not just directional, but lacking... 'Space'?  Still, it is nice to have a nice sounding solid state amp, though I wouldn't trade a Rockerverb for it ;)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Interesting. I'm hopefully heading out amp browsing tomorrow and I'm interested in trying these. The 120 looks interesting, but it'd mean a speaker upgrade in my cab. Not sure how 60w solid state would cope (if I got the 1x12 combo and went through a 2x12 as well.
  • Interesting. I'm hopefully heading out amp browsing tomorrow and I'm interested in trying these. The 120 looks interesting, but it'd mean a speaker upgrade in my cab. Not sure how 60w solid state would cope (if I got the 1x12 combo and went through a 2x12 as well.
    If you do try one, try the stock speaker, then ask to put it through a 2x12 and let me know how you get on.  

An orange 2x12 normally has V30's in, so plenty enough to handle 60 watts, and it might help make things sound a bit bigger.  
  • Nige458Nige458 Frets: 66
    Been using my CR120H through a Zilla Super Fatboy with V30s.

Also use it at rehearsals with a 4x12 cab. In both scenarios it sounds huge.

Nige
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I havent tried one yet...but i suspect the speakers in the combo let it down...i've hear great things with amps going through good cabs and good speakers.