Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Question for Admins, should we have a seperate section for Modellers/FRFR?

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8846

... I sit in the FX section when it comes to amp modellers. It only goes into the Amps section if there's an actual power amp involved! :)
    That's the conclusion I came to when we set up the Reviews section of the forum. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    I think you might be over thinking it. Open a new section if it flies great, if not then close it again, it doesn't need a group committee to decide. 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• I think you might be over thinking it. Open a new section if it flies great, if not then close it again, it doesn't need a group committee to decide. 
    You're under-thinking it, though...there's potentially a non-trivial amount of work that goes into it ;)
    <space for hire>
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    How about having separate sections for trem equipped guitars and hard tails.
    Also, different sections for humbucker guitars so that no-one runs the risk of clicking on the wrong section when looking for single coil guitars.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Sassafras said:
    How about having separate sections for trem equipped guitars and hard tails.
    Also, different sections for humbucker guitars so that no-one runs the risk of clicking on the wrong section when looking for single coil guitars.
    Joking aside, a Bass classifieds would be quite nice...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    edited January 2017
    Fretwired said:
    But will it be strictly modelling (i.e. emulating classic amps or effects) or expand to the digital realm in general? It may be easier to have sections for Valve amps and analogue effects and Digital modellers, effects and software.
    You raise a good point but there will still be grey areas.

Where do digital pedals belong?  A Boss DD3 probably sits much more neatly in a pedal forum.  Some of the Strymon, Eventide or Zoom efforts are slightly less clear cut - they are often modelling old style analogue stuff but for most people they probably sit in FX.  Thinking ahead it's also got to be a matter of time before someone issues something similar to a Strymon Riverside with switchable speaker emulation built in.  Where does that sit?

Also, I could see software becoming more important over time, and hardware modellers Axe FX/Kemper/Helix being replaced by software modelling at some point in the future for a lot of uses.  At that point, depending on how it's set up, you might be able to create a virtual pedalboard of VST type plugins.  It could lead to interesting discussions, but then you end up with the question of where VST effects are discussed.  Do they go in the new area, or in the current Studio and Recording area?  Or does it depend on context and use?

Where does the discussion of Digital Mixers in the Live sub-forum end up?

On the other hand, where does the Tech 21 stuff come in?  It's modelling (sort of) but it's analogue.

I think there is merit to some kind of modelling/digital area, and I can only see it getting more important over time, but you are always going to get topics that blur the boundaries between different sections of the forum.  To use a slightly different example, where would you post a thread about the TC Bodyrez?  If you post it in the FX area, a lot of people will have no interest.  It's probably more sensible to post it in the acoustic area - even though it's a pedal.

I suggest that the best approach is whatever is least work for the Modmins.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7828
    Big catch alls are always better than micro managed sub categories imo - it's not like the fx and amp pages fly past.
    Does it matter if there is a little cross over between modelers in FX and AMPS? I can't believe anyone spends more than a couple of seconds wondering where to post? It's hardly that important and easily fixed if a mistake is made...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27698
    I don't care personally as I browse through Recent Discussions, but I'm still not sure it's worth the bother. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14007
    If we follow some of the logic displayed here regarding crossover between categories we might as well have one big thread called 'stuff'.

Why categorise at all? 

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7828
    If we follow some of the logic displayed here regarding crossover between categories we might as well have one big thread called 'stuff'.

Why categorise at all? 
    The trick is to get the balance right. Which IMO it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372

Why categorise at all? 
    If you look at the forum via Recent Discussions that's basically what you've got anyway so for those of us mostly doing that a modelling section makes no difference ( I think someone already said this, just reiterating). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    I think we should have a separate section for valve amps and another section for tube amps!  And then a sub category for those amps that use 12AX7's in the pre-amp section and those that use ECC83's!  D
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31121
    I do hope they confirm the colours of our Brexit policy.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Voxman said:
    I think we should have a separate section for valve amps and another section for tube amps!  And then a sub category for those amps that use 12AX7's in the pre-amp section and those that use ECC83's!  D
    And a separate section for men who like Vox....right at the bottom and round the corner  =)

edited January 2017

Why categorise at all? 
    If you look at the forum via Recent Discussions that's basically what you've got anyway so for those of us mostly doing that a modelling section makes no difference ( I think someone already said this, just reiterating). 
    Fine, but not all members want to read all new posts, some may prefer not to read about Bass or Acoustic or Off Topic for example.

If modellers (i.e. boxes that digitally replicate transistor or valve amps) had a separate section it works 2 ways, haters can chose to ignore and believers can read all in one place, hopefully without the expected derisory comments from those whose typical view on modelling is that "it's shit and doesn't sound any good"

I personally choose to never visit Off Topic because I have nothing interesting to say and avoid Parody as I am not funny and have no sense of humour...

Why categorise at all? 
    We don't need an EQ sub forum then? ;)

Why categorise at all? 
    Well if you want to get the balance right you need a section for Mixing & Panning don't you?  :)

Why categorise at all? 
    Well if you want to get the balance right you need a section for Mixing & Panning don't you?  :)
    And there was me making a balanced tone pun ;)

Ok so EQ, Stereo Panning, Mixing, and Headstock weight issues sub forums to cover all bases?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29132

Fine, but not all members want to read all new posts, some may prefer not to read about Bass or Acoustic or Off Topic for example.
    You can exclude sections from the New Discussions list pretty easily.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:

You can exclude sections from the New Discussions list pretty easily.
    OK, I wasn't aware could you point me to the 'How To' on this please?